Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im taking a photography class in college and he wants us to buy a SLR camera!! Woohoo, finally a excuse to get one!!! So whats your suggestions on what to buy?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
What's your budget? Nikon D3100 and D5100 as well as Canon T2i & T3i are all pretty decent. Does the class have some guidelines?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
under 1000$ between 500-800 is fine we have check change to use. Whats the good VS the bad with canon and nikon. my teacher likes nikon but ive always like the canon rebel. so im torn lol. Yeah it kinda is crazy requirement but im happy its an excuse to buy one lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hopefully someone will chime in with some good canon v nikon pros/cons. I have a few photographer friends that each use opposite brands and listening to them is like listening to a ford/chevy argument! As someone learning like myself, I'd think you would be happy with either

·
Registered
294 Posts
Canon and Nikon are great. I started with Nikon for DSLR's with the D70 many years ago and have moved to Canon with a 5DMK2, due to differences in color renditions. Nikons tend to make greens and reds REALLY pop, too much for my tastes. Canons render colors more smoothly to my eye, but I doubt most people will actually notice or care about the differences. I spend more time on Flickr comparing photos from different cameras and lenses, than I do on Dendroboard!!

Nikon makes a very nice 35mm 1.8 G lens that doesn't really have an equal in Canon, which makes Nikon the better choice for an inexpensive basic setup, with the 18-55mm kit lens.
Canon does make a 35 2.0 but it is loud and slow to focus.
The 35mm 1.8 lens is nice because it fast, meaning it will take in more light so that you can shoot in darker situations without having to use the flash. It is a must-buy in my opinion.

I would suggest buying used off of ebay, you really can save a lot of money, which is better spent on lenses.

You can find a nice used Nikon D60 on ebay with a 18-55 and a 55-200 lens for less than $450.00, and then get a used Nikon 35mm f1.8 G for less than $250 and for less than $700 you have a great kit that cover a lot.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Davida, do any of your family members have dslrs? If they do, it might be best to purchase the same type so you can interchange lenses with eachother.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Canon and Nikon both make nice cameras. I've been using a Sony a700
(not made anymore) and love it. The image stabilization is built into the body of the Sony so you don't have to buy stabilized lenses. My gf just finished a photography class and ended up buying a Sony a55 after looking at Canon and Nikon. That is one amazing little SLR! Its definitely worth looking at- super fast (10fps!) and has some cool other features.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just my personal observation and I am not biased in any way, this is strictly from my observations of photos from dp review but to me it seems that Nikon appears to have less grain in the blacks in the high iso range. I only speak of this as I am obsessed with night time photography and I really searched high and low for the least amount of grain for night shots.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Canon and Nikon are great. I started with Nikon for DSLR's with the D70 many years ago and have moved to Canon with a 5DMK2, due to differences in color renditions. Nikons tend to make greens and reds REALLY pop, too much for my tastes. Canons render colors more smoothly to my eye, but I doubt most people will actually notice or care about the differences. I spend more time on Flickr comparing photos from different cameras and lenses, than I do on Dendroboard!!

Nikon makes a very nice 35mm 1.8 G lens that doesn't really have an equal in Canon, which makes Nikon the better choice for an inexpensive basic setup, with the 18-55mm kit lens.
Canon does make a 35 2.0 but it is loud and slow to focus.
The 35mm 1.8 lens is nice because it fast, meaning it will take in more light so that you can shoot in darker situations without having to use the flash. It is a must-buy in my opinion.

I would suggest buying used off of ebay, you really can save a lot of money, which is better spent on lenses.

You can find a nice used Nikon D60 on ebay with a 18-55 and a 55-200 lens for less than $450.00, and then get a used Nikon 35mm f1.8 G for less than $250 and for less than $700 you have a great kit that cover a lot.
Davida, do any of your family members have dslrs? If they do, it might be best to purchase the same type so you can interchange lenses with eachother.
yeah my dad has a SLR of some sort i cant remember what he has it was gave to my parents from my moms brother who died and he has a really nice setup with extra lenses. I dont think my dad knows how to use the other lenses ( which neither do i) so itd be a learning experience for us all.

hmm okay thanks for the insight im not sure what im going to go with amazon has some pretty good kit deals with one or two extra lenses and a few things, i tried adding one to the cart last night and they have some promotion they took 150$ off and had it to like 650$ for camera extra lenses and a few others.

Just my personal observation and I am not biased in any way, this is strictly from my observations of photos from dp review but to me it seems that Nikon appears to have less grain in the blacks in the high iso range. I only speak of this as I am obsessed with night time photography and I really searched high and low for the least amount of grain for night shots.
yeah my teach was talking about nikon last night because thats what he loves he dont like canon lol and he tells u about it lol. but he was talking about taking pics in a total black room and it looks like daytime.

Another question for you guys who uses photoshop for their pics? do you recommend where to buy a good program that dont cost me 23498394082098402840093$$$

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Another question for you guys who uses photoshop for their pics? do you recommend where to buy a good program that dont cost me 23498394082098402840093$$$
Photoshop is the only way to go. You can find older software (PS 7.0) for pretty cheap. Then again - you are in college. I though college kids were master software pirates? :p

As for cameras... I've toyed with a bunch of Nikons - My friend has a D90 & a D40, we have a D200, and I've briefly toyed with a D2X. For the money, I really love my D200. It's a really cheap for a professional body camera, although it's slightly older tech. :) Just last year they were $799+, but you can get the body for under $500 now. :eek: That + the 18-55 lens = :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Photoshop is the only way to go. You can find older software (PS 7.0) for pretty cheap. Then again - you are in college. I though college kids were master software pirates? :p

As for cameras... I've toyed with a bunch of Nikons - My friend has a D90 & a D40, we have a D200, and I've briefly toyed with a D2X. For the money, I really love my D200. It's a really cheap for a professional body camera, although it's slightly older tech. :) Just last year they were $799+, but you can get the body for under $500 now. :eek: That + the 18-55 lens = :)
Bahaha not me! im a computer dummy. lol just know enough to get me by. i do need a photoshop program on my computer for class and personal use so i guess im going to have to go searching hmm

im really liking the Canon T3i Rebel. any thoughts??

·
Registered
635 Posts
Your right on that. I dont have money to pay for adobe master suite on top of that Photoshop lol. Since im majoring in architecture, i am a master software pirate.:D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your right on that. I dont have money to pay for adobe master suite on top of that Photoshop lol. Since im majoring in architecture, i am a master software pirate.:D
I was totally going to major in that!!! Then i seen how much math I had to take and well math rapes me! So needless to say I changed majors lol.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You could also look into getting adobe lightroom instead of photoshop, especially if you don't have an interest in the graphic designing aspect of photoshop, and you're just looking at touching up your photos.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You could also look into getting adobe lightroom instead of photoshop, especially if you don't have an interest in the graphic designing aspect of photoshop, and you're just looking at touching up your photos.
Totally agree here. Lightroom for picture editing, Photoshop for major image modifications. You're a student so you could get Lightroom for stupid cheap. It will handle exposure adjustments, levels and sharpening quite well. It will also do some cloning (though not as well as PS), dodge and burn and can add all kinds of filters (like GNDs). It's good stuff.

The T3i is an excellent beginner's body. It would blow my 40D out of the water. The only thing I would suggest is going to hold each body to see which one fits in your hands best. If you have larger hands you might find that the entry level bodies make your fingers cramp.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Totally agree here. Lightroom for picture editing, Photoshop for major image modifications. You're a student so you could get Lightroom for stupid cheap. It will handle exposure adjustments, levels and sharpening quite well. It will also do some cloning (though not as well as PS), dodge and burn and can add all kinds of filters (like GNDs). It's good stuff.

The T3i is an excellent beginner's body. It would blow my 40D out of the water. The only thing I would suggest is going to hold each body to see which one fits in your hands best. If you have larger hands you might find that the entry level bodies make your fingers cramp.
yeah thats why i like the T3i ive messed with it at the stores before and it fits my hand good. i may go with it, still looking, got to do something quick though i have an assignment due next week lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was totally going to major in that!!! Then i seen how much math I had to take and well math rapes me! So needless to say I changed majors lol.
You should of major in it. It seems like alot of math and it isnt. I just went up to calculus and after i just took physics and some basic engineering classes.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yeah thats why i like the T3i ive messed with it at the stores before and it fits my hand good. i may go with it, still looking, got to do something quick though i have an assignment due next week lol
Well, I shoot Canon so obviously my opinion is biased, but I really like the T3i (though the T2i would be just as good, it's basically just missing the swivel screen). The menu is straightforward and easy to get the hang of. I started with an XSi, which is the T3i's great grand daddy. My wife still uses it and loves it.

Nikons are good too, I would just use caution when picking one out to make sure you get a body that has the auto focus motor included.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should of major in it. It seems like alot of math and it isnt. I just went up to calculus and after i just took physics and some basic engineering classes.
haha i def cant change majors again thats what i started out of high school with ive done changed 3 times now and have decided to stick with geography w/ emphasis in cartography and GIS

Well, I shoot Canon so obviously my opinion is biased, but I really like the T3i (though the T2i would be just as good, it's basically just missing the swivel screen). The menu is straightforward and easy to get the hang of. I started with an XSi, which is the T3i's great grand daddy. My wife still uses it and loves it.

Nikons are good too, I would just use caution when picking one out to make sure you get a body that has the auto focus motor included.
well guys I decided to go with the Canon rebel T3, Sams had a combo kit with a gadget bag extra memory card and a 2nd lense for 650$:eek: So i decided to get it. Its going to take alot of getting use to because i have no idea how to work it. The bigger lense will be my biggest challenge because i cant even look through the camera and it not be blurry lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts