Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The second I see the front legs pop I put them in a morph out container, which is rubbermaid shoebox with sphag on half and water on the other half with a bunch of moss/floating plants. I remove the frogs once their tails are completely absorbed, because I have found that they may still spend some time in the water when they still have their tails.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I just move them to the main viv after I see the front legs pop out? The main viv will have a few inches of water surrounding the land that they could easily crawl on to. This particular species of tree frog lives in lakes too. I see them chillin in the water and around the banks all the time.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I most my tads into a morph out tank when they start to absorb their tail. My morph out tank consists of cups filled half way with water, and slanted at an angle for the frogs to crawl out on. The rest of the tank is filled with spaghnum moss and leaf litter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the viv set up... sorta. I put the Great Stuff in and made a huge mess. Then I put the black silicone over it and it looked a bit better. I covered the silicone in peat before it could dry. I didn't want to buy another can of Great Stuff, even though it would've been best, so I just cut holes in the Great Stuff that was already in there and stuck some peat planters in. I'm going to put two big pieces of driftwood in to top it all off. There will be about 1" of water around the land. I made a dip in the land so they can chill in the water if they want to, and that will be great during morphing. All of the tadpoles are still alive. I over-did it and I have about 35 in the tank lol. Three are huge and have their hind legs, the others are 1cm or less. The moss that I put in their tank is completely decayed and it turned into muddy gunk, which they enjoy eating. I'm going to grab a bunch of weeds from my back yard to put in the tank. I'll go to a plant place and get some cool-temperature-loving ivy to drape on the back of the tank. I'll update with pics of the tads/morph-outs soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts