Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Dendrodates auratus 'Costa Rica' / Dendrodates leucomelas 'Fine Spot' / Phyllobates vittatus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a hobbyist since 2016 and I am looking for a new challenge (now keeping only Dendrobates and Phyllobates species). I am looking into buying 0.0.5 Ranitomeya amazonica ” French Guiana” and Ranitomeya benedicta ”Shucushuyacu” each, who are around 4 months OOTW. Any tips or tricks that I should know. Or does anybody have a care guide which is well done, with recent and acurate information.

Also, show me any of your Ranitomeya tanks! I am very interested on how you guys keep this species

·
Registered
Dendrodates auratus 'Costa Rica' / Dendrodates leucomelas 'Fine Spot' / Phyllobates vittatus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome.

I keep Ranitomeya amazonica "Iquitos", care tends to be the same as other Ranitomeya. Here's a link to a discussion on my tank:

Vivarium discussion September 15

And here's a link to my discussion thread about my Ranitomeya uakarii tank,I keep them the same way as my amazonica

Viv discussion 2020-08-23
Very nice tanks, it is not too crowded or too full of plants.
Did you have bigger groups, like I intend to keep? After they mature and will form the trio or duo, I will separate them, but until then, I want to keep them in a 45x45x60 cm vertical tank. What do you think of that?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My groups are pretty small, 1.2 R. uakarii and 0.0.3 R. amazonica , I, personally, wouldn't put more than that in this sized tank.

In my 90cmx45cmx60cm tank I have 6 Ranitomeya sirensis, and they use every bit of the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 4 Amazonica in a 45x45x60. They went in as 0.0.4 but I think I've been lucky to get 2.2.0. I've clicked the other mentioned threads to read after this, but my experience is that 45x45x60 is about right for what I have and that well planted will enable you to see the frogs more (it's weirdly counter intuitive). Ours are quite shy unless they are breading and I really like that you have to hunt for them when looking at the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have 4 Amazonica in a 45x45x60. They went in as 0.0.4 but I think I've been lucky to get 2.2.0. I've clicked the other mentioned threads to read after this, but my experience is that 45x45x60 is about right for what I have and that well planted will enable you to see the frogs more (it's weirdly counter intuitive). Ours are quite shy unless they are breading and I really like that you have to hunt for them when looking at the tank.
Tankwise, this is what mine looks like now (in need of some trimming) and little things I've done through learning with them was to reduce the floor space. They never went on the floor so I laid a ledge across the left which is above floor level so I could have more brows in the front space. If I were to build again I wouldn't change much, maybe a few more meandering branches from right to left as the very front doesn't use much of the near glass space. That however was deliberate in my case as I was worried about the speed of the frogs and wanting them to be away from the glass when opening the doors.

Theres also a really intricate exo vine that I moulded and substrated into the back right corner to look like a tree trunk, which I was really proud of and looked amazing until about 3 week after planting when everything grew into it and now its too dark to even see!

Ignore the little pool, that is because I'm playing with reducing humidity for a period to slow breading down. I was looking to see how quickly the plastic pool evaporated. Normally its just leaves down there.

Here is how it started life for comparison before the frogs and leaf litter were added.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My groups are pretty small, 1.2 R. uakarii and 0.0.3 R. amazonica , I, personally, wouldn't put more than that in this sized tank.

In my 90cmx45cmx60cm tank I have 6 Ranitomeya sirensis, and they use every bit of the tank.
I am planning on keeping them in there until they reach sexual maturity and will form the pairs. That way I can keep only a trio in there, 1.2.0 maybe. After that they will either be kept back, or sold to fellow froggers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, the tanks look absolutely amazing, very natural looking and lots of good hiding spots for the Frogs.

You have been lucky, as it seems. There isn't any aggression between the four of them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
First of all, the tanks look absolutely amazing, very natural looking and lots of good hiding spots for the Frogs.

You have been lucky, as it seems. There isn't any aggression between the four of them?
We thought we had early on, as 1 was very bold and the others seemed to avoid that frog. But we think that was because the frog in question was maybe slightly older and adapted quicker. One of the females was rarely seen and the second was the 'aggressor' but we watched, watched and decided we were being over critical as they all seem to spend most of the time in the same Brom/area and after over a year all look healthy still.

That said, we went for Amazonica based on the info that they were capable of living in groups with little issue.

I've spent a reasonable amount of time watching them this week as they've been mating so I've managed to look out for aggression again and seen no evidence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts