Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've got 3 R. vanzolinii that are about 7 months old and I've had them for 2 months. One started calling about 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from the other two. Is it likely that these other two are females?

I haven't been able to find a reliable source of an approximate age they may start breeding. I've got some unopened Repashy Vit A in the fridge that I'm not sure when I should start introducing monthly! Thanks.

IMG_8027.jpg
IMG_7753.jpg
IMG_7965.jpg

·
Registered
650 Posts
Anywhere from 5-7 months for males to start calling. Once they start calling, I would consider them sexually mature. The females are less obvious, both in regards to when they become sexually mature and trying to determine whether they are female or not. I would assume it would be the same though, 5-7 months. Often, a group of males will see only one dominant male calling so the fact that only one is calling does not necessarily mean there is only one male present.

Watch for courting behaviour (female will follow the male around, and be responsive to the calls). That will help you determine if you have a female. Tadpoles and eggs are also a good sign ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think males might mature faster than females. I can't say for sure but my males have always started calling 2-3 months before I start getting viable eggs. It was usually 9-12 months before breeding started with my groups.

To your last question, no. You can't assume the other two are female. I had a 2.2 group of vanzos where my second male didn't start calling until 10 months. I had a trio of benedicta. One started calling at 6 months. Then a second at 7 months. And then like 2 weeks later the third one called. But here's hoping!

Edit: I should have mentioned I've seen sexually dimorphic behavior around 4-5 months. I've noticed frogs that eventually end up calling claiming the highest perches or the best breeding area.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey sorry for being off topic - in the third picture there is a really cool red/pink plant. do you know the name of it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts