Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used GE II window/door/attic/basement in there vivarium before? I just bought it becuase it was the only silicone that came in brown. It mentions nothin about bio-seal or being aquarium safe or even being toxic. The only thing it mentions is that it provides a mold free product protection, which scares me. I know that people have said that they use ge silicone 2 with bio seal before which is the mold prohibitor and many have used it before they put the bioseal label on it even tho it was still in there. Think its safe? Or should i return it?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was it the window/door/attic/basement sealer version? Im sure it doesnt matter much but it would make me feel better knowing you used the same exact one. Also how long has the viv been up with no problems?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Was it the window/door/attic/basement sealer version? Im sure it doesnt matter much but it would make me feel better knowing you used the same exact one. Also how long has the viv been up with no problems?
All of the GEII has it in it, regardless if it is advertised in it or not. The use of it changes how the silcone cures resulting in a different outgassing product that isn't as strong smelling.

Ed

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Also how long has the viv been up with no problems?
Shibby, that is a good question, looking at the thread JR references it like his tank was built last month and does not have frogs in it.

Give the Bioseal thread Ed referenced a good read. I personally would not use the silicone you are talking about.

Sally

·
Registered
238 Posts
I made my first few vivs w gs and ge2 silicone. That was before I found this site, and learned about the differences. There hasn't been any issues yet, but my frogs aren't producing yet. They have just reached maturity and started courting. If I recall correctly, some of the issues showed in the offspring of parents raised in ge2 tanks. (SLS) and such. Since reading about "possible" issues, I look for Ge1. Lowes currently has it in clear and black, they said that they can order diff colors for me.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yea i will probably end up just returning them and buying the GE I. I used GE I in my first couple vivs because i know people are on the fence about II but i can only find GE I in clear and white and i hate how they both look because if i use them to seal something thats going to be submerged then it always looks glossy or like it has a film on it and if you miss a tiny spot with the peat on the background it stands out more. Iv heard of some people using II with no ill effects so i figured i might use is since its brown but id rather go on the safe side and deal with my problems with GE I

·
Banned
503 Posts
The arguments about Bio seal IMO is complete bull, my tank's been up for a few months, but no frogs, but happy springs. I've also made a custom 43 gallon fish tank using GE Silicone II, clear. I've never seen any evidence confirming that Bio seal has had any long term effects on eggs, tadpoles, and frogs with use of over 5 years. Until I see evidence confirming this statement, I just think Bio seal is entirely harmless to all living creators, but it's not my choice. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How long have you been using the fish tank and have you had any fish loss? I am more worried about this effecting my water then anything. I also am having some trouble with the tank i built right before this one. Its a 20g extra tall filled 2/3 with water with a peice of mopani as a shelf for the land. I made a tree trunk and rock background for the water portion, painted then sealed it with GE I. I am in the process of cyling the tank and keep losing all my fish. I went through about 6 dannios ( iv been putting in two at a time) and my water parameters are at perfect levels escept for a small spike in ammonia(.25). I used tetra safe start in the beginning and been doin water changes(with conditioners) and still have no luck. The last two lasted alot longer then the ones before but now today i look and their both done for.(poor fishies) anyway im tryin to think of whats going wrong and can only think of either the silicone or paint i used (non toxic acrylic) anyway im not gonna put another fish in until i can get some advise on what can be going wrong. My LFS hasnt been a real help and said im doing ever thing right. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It's probably worth it to get some aquarium-safe silicone just to be safe. It is more expensive, but you wont have any of the worries associated with using GE II. I have used GE I on 6 or 7 vivs without any problems, so you should be fine using that if you don't want to get aquarium-safe silicone. Good Luck.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
The arguments about Bio seal IMO is complete bull, my tank's been up for a few months, but no frogs, but happy springs. I've also made a custom 43 gallon fish tank using GE Silicone II, clear. I've never seen any evidence confirming that Bio seal has had any long term effects on eggs, tadpoles, and frogs with use of over 5 years. Until I see evidence confirming this statement, I just think Bio seal is entirely harmless to all living creators, but it's not my choice. Just my 2 cents...
I would suggest reading the bioseal thread.. For an example as an error in your argument, is that no effect on springtails means no effects on frogs.. If you want to use this as evidence then on the same logic you should be able to eat death cap amanitas as box turtles eat them....

Ed

Reactions: josh_r

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You are totally unqualified to make such statements. You speak as if this "evidence" does not exist. The evidence has just been handed to you on a silver platter by Ed. Did you even bother to read the referenced thread?
By the way, mold is a living "creators??"...try this again. Mold IS a living creation, and Bioseal is made specifically to KILL it!!

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
How long have you been using the fish tank and have you had any fish loss? I am more worried about this effecting my water then anything. I also am having some trouble with the tank i built right before this one. Its a 20g extra tall filled 2/3 with water with a peice of mopani as a shelf for the land. I made a tree trunk and rock background for the water portion, painted then sealed it with GE I. I am in the process of cyling the tank and keep losing all my fish. I went through about 6 dannios ( iv been putting in two at a time) and my water parameters are at perfect levels escept for a small spike in ammonia(.25). I used tetra safe start in the beginning and been doin water changes(with conditioners) and still have no luck. The last two lasted alot longer then the ones before but now today i look and their both done for.(poor fishies) anyway im tryin to think of whats going wrong and can only think of either the silicone or paint i used (non toxic acrylic) anyway im not gonna put another fish in until i can get some advise on what can be going wrong. My LFS hasnt been a real help and said im doing ever thing right. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Unless the fish are necropsied and subjected to a ppt or ppb anylsis then loss or no loss cannot be used as a valid estimation if it is safe or not. There is abundent data that the organotins are a problem but there simply isn't any studies in silicone II on whether it will migrate when used far outside of it's designated use however there is evidence that organotin stabilizers added to hard pvc tubes will go into solution so there is reason to believe that a softer polymer (the silicone) will also leach it. See for example http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA303717&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Ed

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ed i think you misunderstood what i was saying. I didnt use this type of silicone on my other palu i used GE I i was just throwing it out there for discussion why my fish may be dying. Different discussion all together then the GE II silicone, maybe i should have started a new thread. Reguardless im going to err on the safe side and return the GE II and get some aquarium sealant or GE I.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Read the warnings on the tubes. GE-I states that it meets FDA requirements for food contact. GE-II does not contain this! So why take a chance with GE-II.

·
Banned
503 Posts
The fish tank has been up for 31 months. I lost 1 fish, a neon tetra, because the tank wasn't fully cycled. Not from silicone. I've bred many fish in the tank too.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.