Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Plants.
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was attempting to find some silicone I in black for my new viv projects I'd like to get started, and Lowes/Home Depot/local Supply store all told me that silicone I was being phased out and they couldn't order me the black anymore?? Is this the case?? From the reading I've been doing I would rather not use silicone II due to risk off egg death/sls/etc. But I can't find a single tube of useable viv silicone in my entire city other than a 3oz tube of aquarium sealant that is like 10$ (not an option at that price.) Has anyone else heard of this being phased out??

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have not heard that. That would suck although it's always been hard to find in any color except clear.
DAP is supposed to be organotin free and should be a good alternative source.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Try looking for GE 1200. I have seen it for sale at aquarium shops for roughly 18$ a tube. I then called some local material/tool supplier stores and they had the exact same stuff for 6$ a tube, in black. It has the strongest vinegar smell imaginable, the best sign when looking for 100% silicone. I have used it in all my vivs, and havent had any problems. I also noticed it is MUCH stronger then the GE silicone II. Unless you plan on using the silicone constantly submerged, you can use GE silicone II anyways. I have also used it succesfully, and plan on using it for my next viv.

·
Registered
Plants.
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to avoid shipping when possible. If I can get my local hardware stores to carry something, that's infinitely preferable. Shipping to Alaska is never cheap. I'll see if they can maybe get in a DAP tube of pure silicon though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My local Ace hardware store caries the DAP 100 percent silicon in black. I am sure you can find some locally it just might take a bit of looking.

Doug

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I like to avoid shipping when possible. If I can get my local hardware stores to carry something, that's infinitely preferable. Shipping to Alaska is never cheap. I'll see if they can maybe get in a DAP tube of pure silicon though.
A lot of online outlets have retail counterparts. I bet you may be able to find a match. I know Sears has it, but I don't know if there are Sears in Alaska.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are "Do-It Center"s here in So Cal that still stock the GEI silicone, but only in clear (that I've seen)

I guess try the smaller chain Hardware stores.

·
Registered
Plants.
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are "Do-It Center"s here in So Cal that still stock the GEI silicone, but only in clear (that I've seen)

I guess try the smaller chain Hardware stores.
We still have the clear up here as well, but I'd much much prefer the black or brown.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try looking for GE 1200. I have seen it for sale at aquarium shops for roughly 18$ a tube. I then called some local material/tool supplier stores and they had the exact same stuff for 6$ a tube, in black. It has the strongest vinegar smell imaginable, the best sign when looking for 100% silicone. I have used it in all my vivs, and havent had any problems. I also noticed it is MUCH stronger then the GE silicone II. Unless you plan on using the silicone constantly submerged, you can use GE silicone II anyways. I have also used it succesfully, and plan on using it for my next viv.

Grimm just to make sure that I am clear with what you are saying about the GE II should be ok to use fully submerged? I have a 30g tall that I just finished and is posted on vivariumforum.com and youtube.com that you and others will be able to see. I am having problems with the water side of the tank!!!! Not saying that it is Silicone related but I have been putting fish in there and they do not even last an hour before they are dead. I did a water change and cleaned everything but they are still dying on me. Would you or anyone else have any suggestions? :confused:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Um... stop putting fish in? Do you know what cycling is? Are you testing the water? What kind of fish? You might want to start another thread for it, maybe in the lounge since it isn't frog related. Not sure where it'd go.

Jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts