Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if this is safe? It says 100% Silicone and I cant find any mention of mold or mildew inhibitors. But Id like to know for sure.
Id like to hear about experience of people who have had it in tanks with frogs for more than 2 years. preferably 3 or even 5 years and Id like to hear whether the frogs have produced healthy offspring or not.

http://images.lowes.com/product/077027/077027050004.jpg

Thats what I got only black.

Anyone want to chime in?

Thanx

Todd

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That is GE silicone 2. There are plenty of people using it with successful babies being produced, BUT, it does have Organotins in it that have been linked to spindly leg and egg failure. They is a good discussion here http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/35720-bio-seal.html
After studying that thread, I choose to use GE silicone 1. Unfortunately I have not seen it in black.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Im wondering if this is safe? It says 100% Silicone and I cant find any mention of mold or mildew inhibitors. But Id like to know for sure.
Id like to hear about experience of people who have had it in tanks with frogs for more than 2 years. preferably 3 or even 5 years and Id like to hear whether the frogs have produced healthy offspring or not.

http://images.lowes.com/product/077027/077027050004.jpg

Thats what I got only black.

Anyone want to chime in?

Thanx

Todd
Thats GE silicone II which to my understanding is the standard silicone used in the hobby. I used it on all of the tanks that I built with GS backgrounds. I have only been in the hobby a year though but have produced many healthy offspring.

Edit: pum got his post out before me, I have had no instances of sls to date ... not too many bad eggs either. Far more good than bad.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I dont care what color it is. Im just really annoyed that both of my normal options are unavailable and I have to go through all this crap of sorting out what is safe and what is not safe again. Ive been told by many people that 100% silicone is fine but it doesnt smell right to me......
It cures pretty quick and the smell dissipates. Silicone stinks like ammonia either way. To my knowlege GE silicone 1 is only available in clear. I guess it depends on what you are trying to use it for. People use GE II because it comes in a variety of colors which they use to cover that yellow Great stuff foam like a paint almost.

What is the intended use of the silicone that you purchased?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have over a dozen vivs built with GE Silicone 1 with everybody thriving and a lot of breeding going on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is what I use in my tarantula enclosures. I don't know how well it would work in a dartfrog setup.
They have other colors as well--black, red, bronze..lots.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i use the same stuff as doug, GE silicone 1 window and door. I've made a couple aquariums with it with no ill effects. I think that may be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
GE SCS 1200 is what I have used in all my tanks. At least for where I am located, I can only find it at pet/aquarium stores for 18$ a tube, or at hardware supply stores for under 6$. It smells like extremely strong vinegar, and the msds sheets give no mention to it containing organotines or mold inhibitors. It also comes in black.

Google Image Result for http://www.distributionsvimac.com/Produit/C04-A401.JPG

·
Registered
430 Posts
i have ge II doors and windows in many viv for over 3 years with no ill effect

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just used G E Silicone II (clear) to attach my cork bark background. Afterward, I read the small print and it says, "Not for use below the waterline, where FDA compliance is necessary, or aquariums". Now I'm worried but many people are saying that they have used it for years so I don't know what to think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts