Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not really a "new" product, but one that isnt commonly used in the hobby

i'll be purchasing some raw labratory grade potassium permanganate and diluting it to safe proportions with RO water. but if there is interest (since i will have a TON extra) i will offer some for sale, and order extra vials (please dont respond as interested if you truly arent since i'll be buying vials out of pocket)

for sale would be 8oz amber vials with a 3.5% solution, which you can dilute like bleach (5ml to 10 gallons water) to clean plants. the benefit over bleach is that it doesnt discolor plants (like moss) nearly as bad.

WARNING!!!!!
even though i will be offering a dilute solution it should be noted that KMnO4 is a highly volatile substance that reacts powerfully with other common household products (this can result in sudden and massive combustion!) as with bleach or any other chem, it must be used with caution.
i will also not knowingly send this to anyone under the age of 18. a parent could call me and let me know its OK, then i would ship, but under no other circumstance.

let me know if you'd be interested. (and dont let the warning scare you, its really a pretty benign substance in its dilute form, but i would be remiss if i didnt explain that there are some potential hazards)
more info on KMnO4 here:
Potassium permanganate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and no definite price as of yet, but under $20 per vial

james

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
You might wanna be careful. You may not be allowed to legally ship this stuff without special permits. I'd look into it. Especially since now you've publicly announced you'd be doing so. Just looking out for you.

As far as interest, I like my light bleach solution. :D

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its well under the 1 pint allowed to be shipped by both ground and air.

bleach is OK but for sensitive plants and easily discolored plants, i prefer KMnO4. it works equally well for leaf litter and other various elements of viv building that need to be cleaned of pests.

its quite safe in the 3.5% form i'll be sending out. only the pure crystalline i'll be getting, is seriously dangerous, and really only when mixing it with other chems.

there will be roughly enough to make 400gallons in each bottle, and i'll supply a graduated pipette (i went and got some today) to accurately dose the water to be treated.

im making a nearly identical product to "permoxyn" which is used in the aquarium hobby and sells for about $7 per oz (same concentration im selling) plus shipping, making this a really good deal for those who want to try potassium permanganate w/o messing w/ the dangerous part.

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks. honest mistake :) i think the words i was looking for are "highly reactive"

james

anyway, the only reason i put any of that up, is because i was afraid that some person would come in and start an argument over how potentially dangerous KMnO4 is (in its crystalline form). i figured id have a better chance at thwarting that by being up front about the potential hazards with this chem.

james

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Percent solution is an inexplicit term which can mean % mass/mass, % mass/volume, or % volume/volume. It may be helpful to those interested to express the concentration as ug/L , mg/L or ppm.

Typically KMnO4 concentrations are around 2 ppm for aquarium/pond treatments and up to 10 ppm for plant treatment.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the solution im offering is 3.5% by volume. 132.5mL per gallon. this is further diluted by the user at 5mL (of 3.5% solution) per 10 gallons water.

james

1 - 9 of 9 Posts