Dendroboard banner

541 - 560 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #544 (Edited)
Those vittatus are striking!

They’re really nice in person.
The orange is a bright metallic color, that doesn’t come across in the pics.

I feel like the marbling on the arms is more apparent vs old lines as well.

Nick Gamble
Cleveland Frog Co.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Took these this morning when the males were battling it out. I have a video of them calling, but it doesn’t seem like Tapatalk lets you post videos.
(If someone knows how, please tell me).

Nick Gamble
Gamphibian
You have incredible frogs. What kins of leaf litter do you have in this tank Gamble? Cheers

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #547 (Edited)
You have incredible frogs. What kins of leaf litter do you have in this tank Gamble? Cheers

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I use a mix of Live Oak, Southern Magnolia, and Dwarf Magnolia leaf litter.

I layer them in.
Sprinkle a light layer of oak on the substrate.
Then a layer of southern. Little bit of oak.
Dwarf on top. And another light sprinkle of oak.

Nick Gamble
Cleveland Frog Co.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #554 (Edited)
Ooooh! Gorgeous frogs. Rarely see these talked about.
Yeah. The old lines are essentially gone from the hobby. (due to their easily stressed disposition).
I’m looking forward to getting these going, and helping to reestablish them back into the hobby.
(Hopefully).

I believe these are a different locale than the old lines, as it does not appear that they have the yellow flash marks. (From the Rio Napo basin)

Based on my research, I think these originate from the northeast Puyo region.

Nick Gamble
Cleveland Frog Co.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #557 (Edited)
An update:

I shut down my frog room as of the 1st.
Gonna try to stretch out the dry season until February.

This is what I ended up with for my first season back. (Partial season anyways).
  • (8) - Green Imitator tads
  • (1) - Bluefoot Leuc tad.
(Had 5 clutches from these guys. All of the eggs went bad except this one tad. Lol)

Kinda feeling like a fish out of water, since I haven’t done this in a long time. (Dry season) Lol
(And I’ve never used these tanks before ... I have InSitus)

So what I did was empty all of the ponds, film canisters. Etc.

I covered up the rear vent 100%, and left the top front vents open. (And the main front vents obviously). I’ve reduced my misting down to 2x/day @ 7sec each. (My wet season was 4x/day @ 15 sec each).
I was considering changing my wet season to 2x/day @ 20sec each, but that would require me to reduce my misting to once a week, for that to be effective. No?

I’m assuming that my tanks are getting pretty dry, considering my moss is starting to change colors.
(Lighter greens/yellows), and I’m not seeing my frogs as much & not hearing them call nearly as often.

My hope is that this will be enough to distinguish the difference between seasons for the frogs, and really get them going once I start their wet season.
I guess I’ll find out soon enough.
(My place gets super dry in the winter. Like static electricity everywhere kind of dry. I’m just concerned to reducing misting to once a week, like I would in other tanks due to this, and the already increased ventilation on these tanks ... I’m still figuring everything out)

I’m open to hearing other people’s thoughts on this subject.

Nick Gamble
Cleveland Frog Co.

(Not sure if color variations are translating to the photos or not)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Your idea seems fine to me. You could always hand mist if you think they need a litlle extra.

I always keep a low amount of water in my drainage gutters during dry season. If the frogs realy need some water they are always able to find some.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #559 (Edited)
Your idea seems fine to me. You could always hand mist if you think they need a litlle extra.

I always keep a low amount of water in my drainage gutters during dry season. If the frogs realy need some water they are always able to find some.
I was actually considering maybe only shutting them down for a month or so. (Until December), and booting them back up. I haven’t decided yet.
(Solely bc as you can see, it’s not like they’ve been breeding a lot or anything. Haha)

The only frogs that still even call are the Femoralis, and the Pepperi occasionally. I haven’t heard a peep from the rest of my frogs. Even the Imitators surprisingly.

Nick Gamble
Cleveland Frog Co.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I always give a dry season from november/december to januari/februari but only for my breeders. I believe it's always beneficial to do.

For younger frog's it doesnt mather much

541 - 560 of 572 Posts