Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have two subadult orange galacs. I see some of them sold as 75% and some as 95%. I bought both mine as just "orange splashback" but they were from different places.
So I have three questions:
1) Are these 75% and 95% orange galacs different subspcies or morphs, like all the different types of tincs, or are they the same?
2) If they are different morphs, then I assume it is not proper to breed the two?
3) I think I may have one of each kind. Both have the orange colorization all over their backs, the difference being that on one the orange stops above the ribcage, and on the other the orange covers the ribcage. Aside from this difference, they seem the same. So are these different morphs?

·
Registered
621 Posts
if someone sold you galacs as "orange splashback" then they are neither the 75% or the 95% as far i understand it. They would then be considered just orange galacs. they should not have sold you two different varieties, because that doesnt make much sense. if they had a breeding pair of galacs from two different percentages of color what purpose would they have to mix them up. i wish you had a pic, that would make it much easier in identifying the exact morph or whatever. I am by no means an authority on galacs and i dont think anyone is. I am really easily confused about many species but galacs are'nt as confusing as others. Here is a pic of my male adult 95% orange fully. and one of his babies.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Andy,

All D. Galactonotous are of the same species. I guess that some argument could be made for a separate red morph and moonshine morph. But I believe that a 75% or 95% or even a 100% orange, is just a pattern varation of an orange morph splash back Galac.

It's my opinion that the 95% orange Galacs are a product of selective breeding.

In my opinion you won't be breaking any rules by breeding your "75%" with your "95%" galac.

JMHO,
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll try to get pictures up soon. Jace King, they actually were purchashed from different places. One was from LLLReptile in San Diego and the other from pumilio.com. Here are links to their pictures:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/frogs-and-amphibians/-/orange-splashback-arrow-frogs/
http://www.pumilio.com/images/pictures/obgalac2.jpg

I was just looking around on pumilio.com and found this:
http://www.pumilio.com/frogofthemonth/september2002.htm

so what are peoples opinions about whether it is okay to breed 75% to 95%?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I read through the Pumilio.com link, very interesting.

I can see a case for the 100% orange being a separate morph, but I'm still of the opinion that the 75%, 95% and "Orange Wedge" are the same. For them to be considered a separate morph, I would like to see collection data on the original frogs, that showed isloated wild populations that supported these specific forms.

It's an interesting topic, none the less. Hopefully someone with more insight will chime in.

Tim

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would not breed the two if they are from different origins (collection points). The galac's 'percentage' has more to do than simply what it looks like. These names are used to distinguish different ‘lines’ that originated out of Europe. I am sure others can shed some more light on this matter.

The link you provided at the bottom is excellent. Call LLL and find our where they purchased their galacs.

-Richard

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

The different morphs of galactonotus are in fact different. The guy who collected them all brought back a number of different morphs, they have better names on German sites, but in the US we have had a number of different importations from Germany. The different morphs may seem fairly arbitrary, but they are different populations in the wild. It would therefore not be a good idea to breed two frogs together unless you are sure of the morph.

There are a few galact morphs which are purely artificial however, the "Koi" galact is one such frog, these were supposedly produced by crossing two of the different orange galact morphs. There are a few other crosses circulating around Europe, but I am not aware of any that have made it over here yet.

Alexander

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty sure the one from LLL is a 95%, so I'll see if I can trade the 75% for a 95% or vice versa.
Another questions though:
How do you sex galacs? Is it like tincs with body type and toepad size?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts