Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is with the first bit of driftwood in situ :

And after I cut up and added some liana :

I now think the liana overpowers the original stump and makes it look too fussy - what are your thoughts?

Regards

Anthony

·
Registered
974 Posts
Your overthinking it mate.

I am the same, I try to place things nicely and it ends up looking too contrived and unnatural.

I love the smaller Liana with the broms mounted on it, but I feel it is a little small and looks pretty lost in there especially with the thicker Lianas overpowering it.

I would personally use the larger lianas as the main structure and mount the broms on them towards the back then use the smaller liana as an accent towards the front on the side.

I just put together a viv for my Retics and literally tossed the twigs/branches in along with the leaf litter and vine cuttings.

The only thought I put into it was where the broms would go to allow growth and pup space.

Regards,
Richie

Reactions: Shinosuke

·
Registered
31 Posts
Much better in my opinion, good advice from Rich.I do the same thing with my builds...try to make them look all nice and neat and it turns out unatural looking.Looks to be the start of a nice tank.I've been looking at pictures and pictures...I'm starting a rack of 18" cubes.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reduced the base size of the front driftwood stump so it sits further to the right. Initial planting completed.

Still to add more broms / orchids / aroids / climbers / mosses / clay substrate / leaflitter.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to add, these atrocious photos will be replaced with some proper ones in the next day or so.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Looking better with each picture! The third one gives a great sense of depth, isn't as cluttered looking, and still leaves a lot of open area for the frogs. Plenty of room for plants on the wood, too.

Looking forward to watching this viv evolve!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking better with each picture! The third one gives a great sense of depth, isn't as cluttered looking, and still leaves a lot of open area for the frogs. Plenty of room for plants on the wood, too.

Looking forward to watching this viv evolve!
Cheers.

Here is a better photo :

DSC_0009 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

And a last shot of the Vanzolinii vivarium before it's torn down :

DSC_0021 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

DSC_0022 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Change of plans, I have another viv the Pums will be going in (spotted some Cauchero i'm interested in.

Do you think this viv would be suitable for retics? (a deep layer of leaf litter will be added).

Cheers

Anthony.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After nearly giving up, mending the shattered side and cramming 2 vivs worth of broms into one, here it is slightly reworked :

DSC_0023 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

Just waiting on the clay substrate now, so I can add the leaf litter.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
just curious, what are those black wires in the last picture? They come down the top left side and are all around the viv.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just curious, what are those black wires in the last picture? They come down the top left side and are all around the viv.
The wires you can see are simply the thermometer which has two probes, so I can measure two temperature zones. These will be hidden when it's finished.

The other black wires are cable ties, which again when it's finished, will be cut flush.

Anthony.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The wires you can see are simply the thermometer which has two probes, so I can measure two temperature zones. These will be hidden when it's finished.

The other black wires are cable ties, which again when it's finished, will be cut flush.

Anthony.
I gotcha now! :) looking good! what type of tank is it? looks custom to me I like the dimensions.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I gotcha now! :) looking good! what type of tank is it? looks custom to me I like the dimensions.
Cheers :)

It's a custom euro style vivarium (front vent under door and another on the lid), built with low iron opti-white glass for increased clarity and greater UVB transmission.

Dimensions are 41cm wide x 48cm deep x 60cm high (so about 31 US gallons).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Decided to add a small 'pocket' of clay in the main floor area of the tank, where hopefully the pums will hunt isopods and reap the benefit. I bought Tropica Aquacare plant substrate, which is basically clay and sphagnum moss, that is not fully 'fired' so it will break down :

DSC_0026 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

DSC_0028 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

DSC_0032 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

Lighting is now 10 x CREE XP-E 6500K high output LEDs plus 2 x T5HO bulbs purely for additional heat (Biovital UV 5800k bulb + Osram 4000k bulb) - i'm hoping to see some good plant growth with this combination of spectra.

Cheers

Anthony

1 - 20 of 26 Posts