Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know YT are aggressive feeders, and I know they can learn a bit (tapping & movement at the tank lid? Run up front because it's feeding time!). But we've seen a new trick: a couple of the frogs will now stand under the funnel looking up, and just sit there with open mouths letting ff's fall in and swallowing.

They usually only do it once or twice per feeding, but it's hilarious. They often lunge at the funnel, especially the juvenile frogs, but the open-mouth trick is relatively new. We don't see it on every feeding, but usually it happens a couple times a week.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Agreed, but one question. How would you do this exactly? I make a big mess with calcium and vitamin powder by just tapping, I could see just dumping things in would be worse....

·
Registered
167 Posts
That would be great to see! I 4th the video idea!

Just set up a tripod with a camera and you can downlaod a free video editor if you want to just show that part. Then it's just a matter of making an account on youtube and throwing it up for all to enjoy.

Now get busy! :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed, but one question. How would you do this exactly? I make a big mess with calcium and vitamin powder by just tapping, I could see just dumping things in would be worse....
We've never had a problem with calcium or vitamin dust. I use just enough to coat the ff's. There's usually a bit left in the cup, but we tap the ff's to the bottom, then tip the cup and let them roll out, rinse & repeat to keep the dust at the back (bottom) of the cup. About 95% of the time we get no dust, the other 5% of the time we might get a very tiny amount in the tank - so little that you can't see it. That's not to say I haven't had an accident or two over the years, though. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
:confused: i don't know what kind of dogs you've been hanging around...
I agree... but I did have one pretty dumb dog. When I'd throw it a treat/food/toy instead of trying to catch it open-mouthed, it would just look at the ground waiting for it to fall.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
no thats the intelligent dog... here let me further explain... stand there, i have an apple for you... now im going to throw it at you... now using your logic, being your smart your going to catch it with your mouth...right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
no thats the intelligent dog... here let me further explain... stand there, i have an apple for you... now im going to throw it at you... now using your logic, being your smart your going to catch it with your mouth...right?
It looks pretty stupid when the food hits his face because he is looking at the ground instead of watching the flying object :D

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We're still trying to get it. It's been a couple weeks since I've seen it, but they were doing it at least weekly. Maybe I need to let them get a little more hungry before I feed. I did have one jump up to the funnel today, though, but I didn't video it (I thought I did, but I hadn't pressed "record". <sigh>). We'll keep trying!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts