Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 29 tall for D. Leucomelas that is empty and has been growing in for a few months. I plan to get my frogs after Christmas, so that the tank will have had about 3-4 months to grow in. When I stuck my head in the tank (don't worry, I won't do that when I put frogs in there, lol, might scare them a little) to watch my little gnat larvae crawl around in the water feature, i noticed my soil smelling just a little bit funky. Has it gone sour? Do I need to replant everything? Or will the funky smell go away? And is the funky smell harmful? Cuz if it's not, I'd kind of rather just live with it if the frogs can.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
If the "funk" you mention is a methane (sewer gas) smell, you probably need better drainage. The water in you're drainage layer should not be up to the level of you're soil, if it is, then it basicly makes you're drainage layer useless. If you're drainage area is not saturated and you still have the smell, you probably would do better to go with a better draining substrate mix, or try cutting back on the misting.
You could also try adding springtails, earthworms, and isopods, these will areate the soil, and help to get rid of the smell which, if I remember right is a product of anerobic decomposition.

G

·
Dancing frogs said:
You could also try adding springtails, earthworms, and isopods, these will areate the soil, and help to get rid of the smell which, if I remember right is a product of anerobic decomposition.
how do you add isopods?

are the earthworms i find around my home good enough?

thanks in advance.

Landon

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have a false bottom and the water level is pretty low. I recently added more water, and I just add it through the bottom of my waterfall, and the water level got pretty high, but was still easily an inch below the substrate. I use that "Jungle Mix" stuff, and a little bit of regular old potting soil. Would just a can of nightcrawlers or redworms from a reptile store or something? Do the iso....iso........worms need any extra stuff?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
They shouldn't need anything special added in order to survive and aereate the substrate...if you're trying to culture them in numbers that may be a different story.
I'd try to find smaller earthworms for this purpose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts