Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, although it may be a goofy question, has anyone managed to produce a vivarium that is capable of self-sustaining a full dart frog life cycle? By that I mean, has anyone been able to have a breeding group carry on their business without human intervention other than dropping in fruit flies and tadpole feed? I am very interested to know if this is even possible. My setups are absolutely swarming with springtails and various microfuana. I wonder if this would sustain newly morphed froglets? If you have manged this, what species and what is your setup? =)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Hi

We have small water features in all of our tanks. So far we've been able to produce 3 Bakhuis, 1 Blue/Bronze Auratus and 1 Leuc. We've built a 75g in hopes of getting more to morph out in the viv. We didn't add any tad food items at all. and no SLS.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sure thing! Happens all the time. With enough space, humidity, food being added and the right living conditions, it is very possible.

I've had it happen with some standard imitators that snuck a clutch of eggs by me. Some time down the road, I had a second calling male in the viv competing with his father!

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Frogfreak: I also have Auratus (CR). At one point I had a breeding pair (the female passed a year or so ago =( ) I caught the male transporting hatched tads quite often but never saw one in our small pond. Would you be willing to provide pictures or a more detailed description of your setup? I am very curious what those tads were eating in your tank! I'm keeping my eyes out for a female at the moment but in the meantime trying to reorganize my viv for better breeding capabilities. I think my water feature creates a bit too much turbulence in the pond, but I'm not sure.

Those of you with experience successfully creating a viv with this capability, what are the most useful tips?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
id love to see something big enough to support a frog through its cycles by only adding water ;) i think wooden stream or the other BIG tanks may have come close to something of that magnitude, but i doubt its been addressed if these exhibits were capable of sustaining their own ecosystem minus the addition of water.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Here you go. Man, has this viv has changed a lot! We've raised 3 Bakhuis tads to land in this one. It's amazing how little water they need. I'm sure we've lost a lot of tads along the way, but it can be done.

The 75g. We're still working on it. I also want to let the water age.

Left side.

Right side.

We're hoping to get much better results in this viv. :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Here you go. Man, has this viv has changed a lot! We've raised 3 Bakhuis tads to land in this one. It's amazing how little water they need. I'm sure we've lost a lot of tads along the way, but it can be done.

The 75g. We're still working on it. I also want to let the water age.

Left side.

Right side.

We're hoping to get much better results in this viv. :)
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: dude thats a rad 75 gal:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/br...72558-ranitomeya-ventrimaculata-egg-frog.html

Here is a thread I just started. The only thing that I did to help out was put in the cups and added some water every few days. I didn't even add tad food (I assumed the parents would do that). So adding flies, misting, and adding a little extra water into the cups was all that was done in this tank during the entire process.
After leaving the water I have been adding more springtails to make sure there are enough since the froglet isn't big enough for flies yet. If you were working with a larger species you might not have to worry about that either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Amazing Viv man, wow... You make me wanna tear mine apart and start over **said while glaring at vivarium in corner of room** :) Do you filter/circulate that water or let the biosphere work its magic? Do you have a false bottom under the main land area? Also, you didn't happen to photo journal the creation of this guy did ya? I would love to see how you managed to put together such a quality setup!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Thanks! :)

No pump and yes there's a false bottom. I really am hoping I can pull this off. I love the idea of tank raising Tincs.

Sending you a PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts