Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference from store-bought media and home-maid potato medias? I want to know so I can make some cultures and sell them. :) And for the quality of them. Aslo, what is a good name for a terrarium store and a marine-fish store combined? And where can I get frogs, turtles, and fish whole-sale that is high quality? Thanks in advance.
-Paul

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there a chemical that I am supost to put in the tadpole water to keep parasites/fungus off? Just another question. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
FrogKid said:
What is the difference from store-bought media and home-maid potato medias?
Differences:
Store-bought - Other people make them for you
Home-maid - You make them yourselves

Thats pretty much it :)

Basically, some people dont want to go through the hassle of putting it all together themselves. I get the same output from store-bought as I do from Home-made. I just make it in bulk now so that I only have to mess with it every 4-6 months. Not much of a hassle at that point.

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
[quoteAslo, what is a good name for a terrarium store and a marine-fish store combined? And where can I get frogs, turtles, and fish whole-sale that is high quality? Thanks in advance.
[/quote] What, are you going to start your own fullscale pet store?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh no. I am only going to get frogs wholesale to possibly sell to people for cheap, but I was wanting to get 5 proven pairs of various frogs to breed in 12 x 16 x 14 tanks. And while doing this also culture some fruitflies in bulk, to sell to stores and/or shows. So I can possibly do this at home for a furure "side" job, so I can work as a frog breeder and a male nurse/x-ray person. :) As for the saltwater, my brother is selling his 4-wheeler to get a 800 gallon tank to probogate corals for sale. And maybe when i am 14 or 16 we might move into a store and have the bottom a store and the top a home. Then when were established, raise money to get a house in the country. Right now i am just looking for cheap cb proven paired frogs, after i get my tanks set up.
-Paul

·
Registered
793 Posts
One reason people like to make their own fruit fly media is to save money, it tends to be a lot cheaper.

Also, on a side note, think about using Firefox (http://www.firefox.com) as your browser, then you can install the add-on SpellBound spell checker.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think you know what goes into purchasing wholesale. First of all you need a tax id# to buy from most any wholesaler. Secondly you typically have to purchase a minimum amount $$$wise. They are not going to be catering to someone setting up some home breeding facility. Next if you buy wholesale, you get what you get. They don't gaurantee them alive, healthy, so on (at least from a lot of wholesalers). Adult cb's PDF's you probably aren't going to find wholesalers with such an animal.
Its a good thought to buy wholesale, but if anyone could just buy wholesale why would there be pet stores?
As for fish, same thing really, except with a lot of corals your just going to get what they throw in the bag, what was the easiest to reach. Plus you are almost always going to get wild collected corals, which are a huge risk to a hobbiest. They often carry parasitic organisms, which can decimate a collection, they very often RTN or Bleach as they adjust. Overall purchasing wild caught corals, or wholesale corals is a BAD idea for a typical hobbiest.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is there a chemical that I am supost to put in the tadpole water to keep parasites/fungus off? Just another question.
Some people use a dilution of Methyl Blue (2-3 drops per gallon) to keep eggs free of fungus and going "bad". As soon as you introduce the tads to food (24-48hr after emerging from the egg) you eliminate the Methyl Blue dilution and use whatever water you choose to rear your tads in (tadpole teas, rain water, ect)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Instead of concentrating on getting cheap frogs, get high quality frogs. I am a kid too, and when I buy animals price is a factor but quality is of utmost importance. Save your money and buy them a little at a time. Many people wont give you a fruitfly medium receipe that is worth selling, I have one that I have tinkered with and it is finally up to the quality of commercial media, but you wont see me giving that out soon. So instead of looking for handouts do some hard work, save your money and learn all you can about the animals you want to keep. I hope you dont take this offensively, but maybe you should do some homework before posting.

·
Registered
714 Posts
mindcrash said:
Also, on a side note, think about using Firefox (http://www.firefox.com) as your browser, then you can install the add-on SpellBound spell checker.
How about everyone knocks it off with the whole spell check thing, it's getting old. It seems Paul can't make a post without someone nailing on him about his spelling

·
Registered
793 Posts
amphibianfreak said:
How about everyone knocks it off with the whole spell check thing, it's getting old. It seems Paul can't make a post without someone nailing on him about his spelling
I think anyone would agree that the correct spelling of words is only a good thing.

My comment wasn't made in a disparaging tone, simply trying to help.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Everybody is just trying to help Paul, good grammar and correct spelling are very important in school and especially college. He has greatly improved his spelling so far. Keep up the good work :wink:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Mindcrash,

I did realize that your comment wasn't made to sound mean, what I said wasn't directed towards you. I only quoted you b/c there are many people that have said something along the lines of what you said.

Geckguy, I know everyone is trying to help him, but I think he gets the point and doesn't need reminded about his spelling after every post he makes

Some people just aren't good spellers, and he's only 12. I'm done posting about this since it's " off-subject"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, some people didnt understand what i meant. I am not going to get wholesale(if i do) from just anyone cheap. I know that theres goos places, i forget the name, but I know a lfs that has a good wholesaler. And, theres never wc animals at good sw wholesalers, that i know of. I didnt read all the posts so far... But I am looking. I am just going to get the racks and breed them in around 20 gallons. ( custom ) Thanks for the info.! :)
-Paul

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ohh, as for the spelling, im working on it people. You don't have to post about every little word. I know you have to pay at least 300$ at some wholesalw stores to get wholesale. I am probably just going to breed frogs and cultures at home, since my dad is now letting me get more than 2 tanks, that use the same light, heating, ect. Thanks for the info. I want to make shure my eggs are fertile. And I know it's hard work raising tadpoles, but it will be a few years, so I have time to learn. :)
-Paul

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I was wondering about the two tank rule, well if you have to limit the number of lights, look into 4' shoplights. I started using T-8's in my shoplights and they do produce more light.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
50% more. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heh, I have shoplights. :) For my 75 gallon. Thanks for all the info people. :)
-Paul

1 - 20 of 31 Posts