Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering is it pretty much not possible to order fruit flies and not have mites in them ordered from a few different places and they all have had mites in them. I was just wondering are there any clean cultures out there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my first set of flies from Josh's Frogs and I didn't have any mites.

Still don't...

I'm sure you can find someone local to buy some from that won't have mites.

Kris

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
If someone tells you thier cultures don't have any mites at all they haven't really looked at thier cultures. If they don't see them now, they will be there later as you'll get them from the media, or they will walk to the cultures from somewhere else.. There is always going to be some level of mites in the cultures, however if you don't keep cultures more than 30 days you will keep the numbers low enough that it doesn't impact production.

If you have a lot of mites in the culture, and need to start a new culture, tap the flies into another cup in which you have a fine calcium supplement and then tap a number of the flies into the new cultures. Do not use the supplement that is left over at the bottom even if it means wasting flies as most of the mites should be knocked down into the dust.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts