Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started 4 cultures of fruit fly's yesterday and I have noticed that there is white stuff popping up in different spots. Im Not to sure what it is.
Im using 1/2 cup water 1/2 Tablespoon sugar 1 tablespoon powdermilk and a pinch of bakers yeast on top. Write me and give me an opinion. :?:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
next time, use a 50/50 water to vinegar mix. The white stuff is just a form of mold. As long as the flies take over before it does, it won't cause any problems. Also, your recipe sounds like it is solid sugar? Try this one:
1cup of powdered sugar
1cup of brewer's yeast
3 cups potatoe flakes
Mix together, then add water/vinegar mix until smooth consistency. Boil the water and vinegar together first. YOu can downsize the recipe no problem. I am very very happy with the results I get from this. Anyway, good luck with it

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Powdered sugar has a finer consistency and it mixes into the medium easier

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you dont have any powdered suger just put regualr sugar in a blender and blend it up. It will turn to powdered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont get it

Like I said ,Idont get it ,are the ingrediants to make the media itself or to make something to put with the media.please help.......thanks :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeast mold

Bakers yeast should be used with some moderation. Just a couple of grains. If to much is added , white yeast molds are a sure sign of an unnecessary amount. Bakers yeast is hydrophillic (water loving) and it has the ability to absorb and grow. To much water , and you have a conducive arena for mold growth. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts