Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good tips on minimizing the odors from fruit fly cultures? My roomate claims to have a sensitive nose.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My roomate claims to have a sensitive nose.
Move roommate out....problem solved!

But seriously, can you explain what you are keeping your flies in now, how long you keep each culture, and what temp do you keep them at.

I don't seem to have any smell from my cultures and all I use is the plastic 32oz deli cups with lids (pretty standard), each culture is scrapped after ~3weeks, and they are at room temperature.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Try a box of baking soda near your cultures. When we were trying to figure out a good cooked medium in past years, we turned out some real stinkers. The baking soda did help quite a bit.

Christina

·
Registered
448 Posts
christina hanson
Total posts: 31
Gender: Unknown Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:46 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try a box of baking soda near your cultures. When we were trying to figure out a good cooked medium in past years, we turned out some real stinkers. The baking soda did help quite a bit.

Christina
I put all my FF cul. in a rubber made box that has a hole cut in the top covered by screen for air flow. Inside the box is one of the baking soda clean air things. Works out really well, and keeps FF down to a min.
ADAM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My fruit flies are kept in 32 oz deli cups with screened lids held on with deli cup lids with drilled holes. I use Ed's flymeat media and keep them about 75-80 degrees. I personally am not bothered at all by the smell of the cultures, of course I may have grown immune to the smell over the years... at this point, kicking the roomate out may be a viable option...

·
Vendor
2,858 Posts
I keep all my fly cultures in rubbermaid type containers (9 cultures to a rubbermaid) with no ventilation (except when I open to feed) and have more flies now than when I kept them out in the open. Some media's smell more than others.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
In my experience, cultures start to stink when they begin to dry out. I use the 50/50 vinegar/water solution and it doesn't smell (other than the smell of vinegar and that's only when you stick your nose in it) as long as the cultures stay wet enough. So if you don't mind the smell of vinegar you might try it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts