Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried my hand at making my own media today and the only question i have is, how can i color it blue like the commercial media i have been using? I used the methylene blue, but since the amount is so low, it only colored it a very light tint.

Anyone know the secret?

Thanks!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes the answer is just so simple....

Now, if they use food coloring in the commercial mixes, how do they get it dry? Is there a powdered food coloring?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Methylene blue is what makes the medium blue. I can't imagine why food coloring would be used. Methylene blue comes in a concentrated powder form, I have no idea what the correct amount would be but it would be a tiny amount. I know that it takes around 1 tsp. of powder methylene blue to make a 16 oz bottle of solution for treating fish.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have the powder form, i have the liquid that you can buy at a petshop. Since my media turned only a very tint of blue, should i try using more?

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Food coloring

This has been discussed in the past, and the agreement was there is not any methylene blue in the FF medium.

Food coloring is probably the ingredient.

Melis

bgexotics said:
Methylene blue is what makes the medium blue. I can't imagine why food coloring would be used. Methylene blue comes in a concentrated powder form, I have no idea what the correct amount would be but it would be a tiny amount. I know that it takes around 1 tsp. of powder methylene blue to make a 16 oz bottle of solution for treating fish.

·
Administrator
8,764 Posts
Re: Food coloring

So you don't think it's used at all in Carolina or Wards?

I've got no idea, just curious.

s
melissa68 said:
This has been discussed in the past, and the agreement was there is not any methylene blue in the FF medium.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
I am not sure....

Scott,

I don't remember where I saw the tread, but there from what I have read, the blue coloring has 1 purpose, enabling people to see the maggots in the culture better.

Something to think about....if it is a chemical, wouldn't people need to include it in their own recipies to get good yields? I know we do not include MB in ours, and do not have problems with our yield.

Melis

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been reading about different media recipes on this forum and other sites. Many list Methyl Paraben or Methylene Blue. But your right, i would have to put a ton of the Methylene Blue in order to get it a darker blue. I'm just giving up and going to go with a different recipe that i found on Doyle's site.

G

·
If I'm not mistaken, the reason Carolina adds blue coloring to their medium is for educational purposes. It is very difficult to see the instars in the medium without some sort of coloration and in order for schools and institutions to do thorough experiments with the fruitflis, the medium needs to be tinted to allow observation of the instars.

-Bill J.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts