Dendroboard banner

Fruit Fly Lids

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  imchet 
#1 ·
Does anyone make their own fruit fly culture lids?
I have a large number of lids that I would like to use up. I think I have a couple hundred lids. :eek:
I don't want to drill them, that would take too much time. Not sure what hole size to use to keep hydei in the container.
A hole punch and fabric would seem pretty easy, but I cannot find adhesive fabric in my internet searches.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks much!!

#4 ·
Do your lids have any ventilation in them already? If not, I would think that you could just cut the middle out of your lids and use Noseeum mesh with a hot glue gun. Noseeum mesh has the advantage that it isn't stretchy like panty hose is. Drilling thin plastic is a pill. Maybe cutting one big hole (roundish? square?) with a sharp blade or scissors would be easier and faster.

I will say that I have had great luck reusing the fabric lids that you can buy at various online resellers. I think I have been using the same set of 50 or so cups and lids for 2 years or more. So, that's something to consider, too. I know you already have bunch of lids you want to use, but for other folks, this could be an option.

Mark

#6 ·
Do your lids have any ventilation in them already?
Thanks for the suggestions. No, mine don’t have any ventilation yet. I really should reuse my lids. I buy the punched lids from Josh’s. I can’t stand the smell of an old culture, so I can’t get them out of the house fast enough at that point. I’m also going to try a Hobby Shop. I’m surprised there is no cloth with adhesive on it.

#7 ·
It seems to me that the addition of synthetic fabric and hot glue kind of negates the environmental benefit of reusing lids, especially since the homebaked lids are very unlikely to last through as many reuses as the commercially available fabric lids. I have years of use on my fabric lids (and cups), too.

Reactions: Encyclia
#8 ·
It seems to me that the addition of synthetic fabric and hot glue kind of negates the environmental benefit of reusing lids, especially since the homebaked lids are very unlikely to last through as many reuses as the commercially available fabric lids.
Almost all of my homemade lids have lasted more than five years of reuse and are still going. I use the heavy duty deli lids and containers so they are more durable then the regular ones. Also you can reuse the containers and lids you get from places like Costco and never have to buy them again. Another benefit is that they are easier to wash than the commercial fabric lids.

#9 ·
Anyone have any recommendations on how to wash our proverbial commercial fabric lids? I use Wonton Soup containers from my local Chinese take-out (they're a lot sturdier than store bought) and I buy commercial fabric lids.

#10 ·
When my cxs are done, I put them in the freezer overnight. Then I pop out the frozen media and excelsior, and soak the cups and the lids in water (sometimes with dish soap, sometimes not) at least 24 hours. Then I hand wash the cups and fabric lids with hot soapy water and a sponge, air dry the cups and soak the lids overnight in my sanitize tub (2 tsp regular bleach in one gallon water). Any stuff that didn't get washed off the lids goes away during the sanitize soak (and after that I replace the sanitize solution, of course, which I always have sitting covered on the counter in the reptile room).

After clean and dry, the cups and lids get stored in the freezer to keep grain mites off until next use.

#11 ·
I have a large number of lids that I would like to use up. I think I have a couple hundred lids. :eek:
I don't want to drill them, that would take too much time. Not sure what hole size to use to keep hydei in the container.
A hole punch and fabric would seem pretty easy, but I cannot find adhesive fabric in my internet searches.
Thanks much!!
I use mason jars with coffee filter lids. Easy to use, plus you just wash the glass and the lid, throw away the biodegradeable coffee filter lid.
Check out our Instagram page at www.instagram.com/therainforestexhibit/

#12 ·
Thanks much!!
I use pint canning jars with the metal rings and cut paper towels that are held on by the rings. Cheapest resusable culture containers. Scrub the containers with a baby bottle brush and wash in the dishwasher. The rings I don't wash. They will rust when washed in the dishwasher. Been using the same containers and rings for 20 years.

#13 ·
I've tried a gew things, but it's a hassle to spend time making a nice lid only to have it become dirty over time.

I did something else that's working really well for me, and is so simple that you can easily do it on every new lid. I wait until the culture is mature, then very simply make two parallel cuts to the lid about an inch apart and maybe an inch or two in with scissors. Then the lid has something that sort of works like a flip top. To use, just gently pull back that part of the lid, and shake, you don't have to hold it back very far as tge flies will come out the sides of the slits. Then just close that little flap, and make sure the slits are smoothed down, and the FFs won't escape.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.