Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I didn't have any fruit flies because of constant failure in rearing and such. But now I started using a new media and all is well, except now a ton of larva seem to by laying on the screen mesh at the top of my cultures and whenever I open them larva fall off and then end up scattered around the room. I don't have anything for them to climb on in some and have cardboard in others, is there any other things I should try to stop them from doing this? Thanks

G

·
Hey Mark,

I culture my flies in mason jars with 2 layers of coffee filters.
I also add a filter in the culture or a square of the plastic mesh from an art store, I think it is #7 needle point.
Maybe the culture is hot.... just guessing now.

Benjamin...

G

·
Use excelsior

Use excelsior in your cultures for the larva to morph on. Excelsior is basically just shreaded wood and is often referred to as a dried 'moss'. You can get it in bags at craft stores.

·
Administrator
8,764 Posts
In addition to what Melissa says... cut down on the amount of flies you add initially.

It's good to have "lots" of larva, but if the competition for food is too high, then many (most?) do not make it to "flyhood".

s

G

·
Another cool trick is to tightly roll up a paper towel and stick it partly in the medium. It will give the developed flies a place to hang out, and the larva will be able to hang out in and eat through the layers of pt. Your cultures will explode. My production went really up, but the downside is that they will not last as long. Not too bad though, just more cultures to create.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
excelsior

They sell the excelsior at most arts and craft stores (A.C.More&Micheals aere the big 2 around me), it is around where they have moss and other stuff used for dried flowers/arrangements. They might not know what you are talking about, but still have it... as this has happened to me before at these kind of stores. I find it better to look around yourself if you don't know exactly what you are asking for, since asking for excelsior for ff's doesn't make any sense to many people :D .

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Re: an alternative

melissa68 said:
another alternative is to use coffee filters. They are less expensive & if you get the 12 C ones they work great!

Am I the only one that is ghetto? I use paper towels fro everything. I even use them for the lids on the mason jars. I just double them up and screw the top on. What's wrong with extra larvae? I use the excess to feed to the larger tincs....they love it! It's like ice cream to them....fattens them up.

Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts