Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just made my first fruit fly culture using joshs frogs fruit fly culture kit. I realized though that some of my fruit flies.. I guess drowned :( they are dead in the media. Is this usual? Is there a way to prevent this? Loop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I felt it was more in the middle of being liquidly and thick. Like I think it was average but that sounds pretty reasonable. Is there anyway that I can fix that and make the mixture more thicker. The culture was just made yesterday.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Once the cups cool (as you should mix them with hot water) the media shouldn't move. I like to think of it like the DQ Blizzard (flip it upside down and it shouldn't drip down).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once the cups cool (as you should mix them with hot water) the media shouldn't move. I like to think of it like the DQ Blizzard (flip it upside down and it shouldn't drip down).
Hmm, perhaps I should use less water the next time then. It was slightly less thick than that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Did you follow the Josh's Frogs instructions? By follow, I mean measure and not eyeball. I've not had an issue with their recipe with their products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I used measuring cups. Perhaps I just underfilled. So, the drowning flies are unusual. I'll most likely end up remaking it, thankfully there are still plenty of live flies in the culture to transfer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the Josh's Frogs mixture. It's not unusual to have a few drowned flies in my experience. That's ok as long as the culture develops ok. Give it a few days and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Some may get stuck and that is normal . It should produce fine if you see flies . I lose a few or more every time and they pump out well. If you followed instructions and see flies I would just expect a booming culture shortly when it is to be expected. Try not to overthink it, and never hesitate to ask questions . That is what we are here for.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some flies stuck in the media is no big deal. You will work out the consistency you like with practice. Too thick, it dries out too quickly. Too thin, it is hard to get flies out with out everything slopping around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts