Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I get potato flakes and powder suger? I do not have a costco card nor do I know any one who does, so can't go to costco. Where can I get these product in bulk?

Also, where do you guys go to get the ff cups in bulk?

I have been using josh's media for quite some time and like to make my own now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The potato flakes and sugar you can get at your local grocery store!!??
I get my cups from "Smart and Final"...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Where do I get potato flakes and powder suger? I do not have a costco card nor do I know any one who does, so can't go to costco. Where can I get these product in bulk?

Also, where do you guys go to get the ff cups in bulk?

I have been using josh's media for quite some time and like to make my own now.
Got a grocery store?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I usually go to stater bros and target.

Is that where I go to get the potato flakes?

I am considering of using this recipe for melo cultures:
6 cups of potato flakes
2 cups of brewers yeast
1 cup of powder sugar
2 table spoons of cinamon

1 tea spoon of methyl paraben,

Is this a good recipe to use for great production?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Keep in mind that great production does not mean that it produces optimal flies... and it doesn't rule out that the production is genetic versus the media actually being better...

Ed

Reactions: Zoomie

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i tried an experiment with patrick's media from saurian.net one of our sponsors here. with his FF media i put a spoonful of powdered sugar in one culture and a spoonful of brown sugar in the other, just on top of the media once it was already mixed with water. the brown seemed to produce more flies and the powdered sugar one molded really quick with very little production. so what is the benefit of using sugars, or powdered sugar like the thread starter mentioned?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
food for the yeast until the larger starches begin to get broken down.. Powdered sugar is a standard in the medias and adding more can actually change the osmotic potential of the media which can actually inhibit yeast growth if the yeast are not adapted to that concentration.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
food for the yeast until the larger starches begin to get broken down.. Powdered sugar is a standard in the medias and adding more can actually change the osmotic potential of the media which can actually inhibit yeast growth if the yeast are not adapted to that concentration.

Ed

that would explain why the culture was so crappy then. does regular sugar have any added benefits?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
that would explain why the culture was so crappy then. does regular sugar have any added benefits?
Not in excess amounts... the reason you possible saw an issue with the powdered sugar instead of the brown sugar is that the brown sugar also pumps a bunch of minerals into the media that can help the yeast. It isn't needed as the maggots actively secrete digestive enzymes which produces the easily digested carbohydrates for the yeast.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Not in excess amounts... the reason you possible saw an issue with the powdered sugar instead of the brown sugar is that the brown sugar also pumps a bunch of minerals into the media that can help the yeast. It isn't needed as the maggots actively secrete digestive enzymes which produces the easily digested carbohydrates for the yeast.

Ed

thanks for all the info ED, my experiments with the different sugars went exactly as you mentioned in the above posts.

would adding a little less than a spoonful extra of Brewers Yeast Buds aid the culture in any way?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
thanks for all the info ED, my experiments with the different sugars went exactly as you mentioned in the above posts.

would adding a little less than a spoonful extra of Brewers Yeast Buds aid the culture in any way?
There is an upper limit to the amount of protien you can add to the cultures before you begin to negatively impact them. Most of the standard recipes that include brewer's or nutritional yeast are skating on the edge with the maximal amount of protein so adding additional amounts is risky.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There is an upper limit to the amount of protien you can add to the cultures before you begin to negatively impact them. Most of the standard recipes that include brewer's or nutritional yeast are skating on the edge with the maximal amount of protein so adding additional amounts is risky.

Ed
thanks, just wanted to get your opinion on the idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts