Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my colection growing by the day i am on a search to produce flys as cheap as possible and i was wondering where can i get bulk cups from at the lowest price possible. something i can reuse would be nice too. thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you want bulk here it the place:

http://www.superiorenterprise.com/insectnewprice.htm

Their 4.5 inch 32oz poly-fabric cups are pretty much the standard I think. You have to get 240 of them, but at $73, you can't beat the price. I split the cost with a local dart frogger. I started with Mason jars, but got tired of all the extra steps and the fact that fruit flies get caught under the rim and slowly creep out. Some people reuse the plastic containers although the lids can get kind of dirty after a culture with a lot of production. However, you can also order loose lids (minumum 500 :)). You can order smaller amounts from most of the FF vendors, they will just cost you a little more.

If you are willing to deal with cleaning, sterilizing, and cutting coffee filters for the top, then mason jars are the cheapest, most reusable way to go.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey Blort,

Exactly how were you securing the top to the mason jars? Do you have some kind of screen over the doughnut metal top? I am trying to figure out how the flies creep out of there. I use coffee filters with mason jars and have never had this problem in over three years.

Just curious.

Yuri

1 - 3 of 3 Posts