Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2 dart frogs for about 2 weeks and one culture has been enough so far. But the new one i set up the week i got them has tons of larva but all the flies have died in the 2 weeks. So i was wondering how long usually does it take for the larva to turn into flies?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Most people recommend making 3 cultures a week. I'd get a few going as sometimes cultures just crash (usually with a change in the season). My cultures are teeming with flies in 10-11 days. That varies on temp, humidity, whether I use vinegar or Methyl Paraben, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks cause my culture is full of larva but i can see that there are all the ones that laid the eggs dead on the bottom. Is this normal cause it kind of weirded me out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
d

put it this way.

you can never had too many flies. but you SURE can run out.

make more than you need every week on the same day of the week. That's my problem, I have a hard time actually doing it on a scedule, which is the key. I wait a week, then have all my cultures "betwen hatches" and then start to run low, then they crash and there are no flies and a dozen mason jars with stinky mash in them.

Hey, at least I admit my problem! Thats the first step to recovery, isnt it?

scedule is the key, then you can see better EXACTLY how long they take to grow and then will know exactly how many you will need to keep long term. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the thing is i only need like 3 cultures at a time cause i only have 2 frogs im gonna get 3 but still

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But still is that normal what i said in my earlier post. Because this is only my 3rd culture my uncle set up the rest for me.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It sounds like the ones that are dead are the flies that were put in there origionally to to start the new culture, thats normal, they'll lay the eggs and die, then just wait for the larva to turn in to flies and you'll have more flies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts