Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only springtails and isopods in my viv.

(I never really ever see them since releasing them into my tank).

But today, I opened to spray and I see 2 flies (tiny ones like fruit flies) flying towards the light at the top of the tank.

Is this anything to be concerned about??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi. They are probably fungus gnats. They are a common pest in vivaria, and can be pretty annoying. They breed like crazy. Generally, their population will dwindle as the tank matures. You sorta just have to wait it out. There are some other methods, but I cannot recommend them having not tried them myself. In the mean time, they will serve as diversity in your frog’s diet. They are nothing to worry about, just annoying.
-Oscar

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. They are probably fungus gnats. They are a common pest in vivaria, and can be pretty annoying. They breed like crazy. Generally, their population will dwindle as the tank matures. You sorta just have to wait it out. There are some other methods, but I cannot recommend them having not tried them myself. In the mean time, they will serve as diversity in your frog’s diet. They are nothing to worry about, just annoying.
-Oscar
Got it. PHEWW. Although I currently don't have any frogs in my tank. Is that an issue as nothing will eat them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You could hang up some fly paper near any "gaps" or vents in your tank in case too many of them get out...

·
Registered
13 Posts
These things usually die off in a few days. I get fungus gnats from time to time. If it persists for a little while I sometimes put fly strips up near the area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts