Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been noticing in my fruit flies culture, the maggots/larva are actually getting stiffening inside the media and not on the side or the excelsior? Is my media too dry or wet? Any help would be great. Thanks :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had the same problem so I upped the humidity and now my cultures are covered in maggots. Get a plastic tub, put some vents in the lid, put an egg crate "false bottom" down than add a gallon of h2o and set the cultures on the egg crate. You will notice a big difference in less than a week. Plus then you won't have to add extra h2o when you make the cultures

Casper

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Lately, I've been noticing in my fruit flies culture, the maggots/larva are actually getting stiffening inside the media and not on the side or the excelsior? Is my media too dry or wet? Any help would be great. Thanks :)
It is typically a sign that the meida is getting dry. Depending on the age of the culture it may not affect production. You can always add a little water after harvesting the flies or if it is early in the life of the culture add just a little more water to the culture.

Ed

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
This is exactly the cause. I live in low humidity central (Tucson, AZ). I make new cultures from two week old cultures. After a batch of cultures has made new cultures for me - they are put in production (to feed the frogs). I add a little water (as much as is needed to wet the media down) at this time.

s

It is typically a sign that the meida is getting dry. Depending on the age of the culture it may not affect production. You can always add a little water after harvesting the flies or if it is early in the life of the culture add just a little more water to the culture.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.