Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with the fruit flies climing up the side of the froglet bin out of the froglets' reach. They all seem to gather at the top of the bin, and knocking on the lid to shake them down just makes the froglets freak out. Is there any better way?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I currently have 3 galacs in a half ten gallon tank, and the fruit flies seem to do the same thing that yours are doing. At first I was wondering why the frogs were always climbing the glass, but now I realize that they were after all of the flies up there. The way that I used to get them down is to get a small piece of aquarium tubing and use that to blow them off of the top. As soon as they hit the ground they are rapidly eaten. My froglets actually wait and look up at me whenever I open the top of the tank waiting for the fruit flies, pretty amusing.

rjm

·
Registered
850 Posts
There is a way to utilize the fruitflies' tendency to climb up. I figured this out on accident, but I cut a coconut shell in a cylindrical shape, anything in a cylindrical shape will do, size really doesnt matter either. Set this on the ground of your viv in a prime feeding area. The cylinder should oriented such that when looking from top, it is a circle. Dump all of your flies inside the cylinder and they will climb up onto the top edge of the cylinder. The frogs will then just sit there and pick em off. It works very well for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts