Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a compromise with my fiance to keep my collection small. One baker's rack in the living room. This gives me enough space to work with and do what I want, but keeps me in check. Fruit flies are not a huge problem as I use traps in various locations around the rack. My wingless fruit flies are clumsy and slow and don't make it past the rack but do make it into the traps. I don't use hydei as when they escape they live for a month and find their way everywhere lol

My problem is not fruit flies all over the apartment. In fact, as long as they stay on or near the rack, she doesn't care. And off the baby of course.... I'm sure some venture off on the carpet but I've sat there and watched a few make there way onto the carpet and one after another went straight towards the vinegar/soap traps at base of rack out of plain view.

So I pretty much have this under control as best I can. I've cultured fruit flies ever since my first dart frogs in 1998 so I knew what I was getting into when I got back into frogs in 98'

Tonight I nearly lost it. I have been upgrading to front opening conversion kits. Company A that I've been using makes a great kit and are nearly fruit fly proof! Company B, also claims to be fly proof and since they had easier and faster delivery, I ordered the rest I needed from them. I install them PERFECTLY and I am extremely meticulous about how careful I am so they do their job. Surprise surprise, they're not fruit fly proof! No wonder I still have tons of flies ending up in the bottom traps. Tonight with a flashlight I took a minute to watch flies walk out one at a time at different areas of the front door.

I know it's not a huge deal and at least they're tiny wingless and no one even notices. But I've done every thing I possibly can. I want to own a dart frog collection and breed my frogs. I love it. One of my favorite hobbies and my local group is amazing. But I thought I could make my tanks at least fruit fly proof to a point where only a couple dozen end up in the traps a week.

So far I've been lucky and the traps are working and you really can't even see flies on the carpet under rack unless you get down close with a flashlight. They don't venture off from the rack as the vinegar seems to be more inticing.

I'm just mad I guess and venting. I'm to the point where if I have to sell my collection already after building it up and working so hard to get everything up and running again, I'm gonna be really upset.

I put A LOT of trust in a product that was put together shotty and cheap and to have to upgrade yet again would be something I can not do for a long time and I don't want to. Up until tonight I thought the fly escapes were from some place else, not these fruit fly proof vert kits.

When I'm searching for eggs, a few flies can get out, or anytime I open lids. But to have them pouring out from the tiny cracks once thought to be pretty tight is just such a let down.

Any advice?? No so much on the traps but moreso on maybe working towards making the vertical glass doors to close more flush?

All these tanks the conversion kits were added to were brand new tanks ordered straight from the suppliers. I believe I used Aqueon or AGA...the conversion kits are made for both. Not using names as there are 3-4 makers of them out there. I am just mad I paid good money when I could of made it myself just the same.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I didn't even of that. I like decomposing fruit but it never seems to gather them as good...but I forgot how well banannas worked too.

Scott, I took 6 film canisters with suction cups and also put them in the front of the tanks on the bottom outside so that they cut off the flies route to the floor and they;ll go straight to it. They have been so that's a relief plus they're black so no one sees flies floating or crawling in.

I just re-read this post and realize I overreacted. Even my fiance noticed I was just tired and cranky. She said don't worry, you have the problem fixed and it's just that you're obviously going to notice it more with a flashlight crawling on the floor lol

The baby is the best thing that has ever happened to me....I love it! But I have gotten very little sleep so my brain is mush lol Luckily I don't have to drop my hobby because of a new gift like a first son. It's not like the frogs take up much time. 10 minutes feeding in morning or afternoon...misting. Pulling eggs here and there. Making cultures. Everything takes little time. I've been doing some frog stuff while all the mothers have been coming over to see their grandchild or cousins or whatever. So despite friends saying I won't have time for anything I enjoy, I still can do whatever I want.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Depending on the style of latches, you can put a piece of folded paper or tinfoil under them to make them fit tighter. Mine have little plastic latches that just rotate 360 degrees. I shove something in between them and the glass and forces the glass in tighter to the tank rim.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I haven't seen a tank that couldn't be improved as far as FF escapes go. Usually involves some creative use of silicone. PM me a pic or two of the problem area and I'll see what I can offer.

If you do decide to try adding a silicone gasket, you'll need to remove the frogs to a temporary tank for a week or two.

BTW, where in B-town are you?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Depending on the style of latches, you can put a piece of folded paper or tinfoil under them to make them fit tighter. Mine have little plastic latches that just rotate 360 degrees. I shove something in between them and the glass and forces the glass in tighter to the tank rim.
You can also cut small squares of thin plexi and glue them to the glass to make it tighter. If you have a couple of different thicknesses of plexi you can layer it to get the right tightness.

Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
1) Remove frogs temporarily.
2) Tape Waxed paper to the perimeter of the door.
3) Apply silicone bead to the rim/lip where the door contacts the viv.
4) Close the door
5) Wait 24 hours and then open door, carefully peeling off waxed paper
6) Trim off excess silicone if it is an issue in your case
7) Keep door propped open for another day so it doesn't stick to mostly cured silicone.
You got yourself one tightly gasket-ed door, sir!

Grab your sleep wherever you can!

Attachments

Reactions: kate801

·
Registered
33 Posts
Doug,

I'm a bit confused as to where to silicon ends up. Is it on the inside surface of the wall & the edge, on the edge of the door, both, neither. Do you have a construction how to on your vivs? The slanted face is intruiging. How do you keep it clear of condensation?

Thanks for any and all input, sorry if I sound a bit thick, I just wanna wrap my brain around what is going on.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Eventually I'll just remove frogs and silicone. The new film canister traps have helped a lot. After years of fruit flies at my house and in the labs I've worked at, you'd think that I'd of just settled on the idea that they escape no matter what plans you use this time around.

I'm going to war and I'm going to make sure I win! lol

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Also, could it be possible you are overfeeding? If there are a ton of extra flies walking around that are not getting eaten, they are more likely to escape...just a thought.

I have escapees because I opted for sliding doors on my tanks, but have found way more success with the alcohol/sugar water/brewers yeast trap than I did with vinegar. I only notice them in the frog room now, instead of throughout the house.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be overfeeding honestly. Reason being is my yellow belly pumilio are shy but breeding and looking healthy right now. I get worried that they won't get food so I do throw a lot of flies in their tanks. For the frogs that eat the minute I drop flies in, I don't see many escapes because they eat them all right there.

I'll try that brewers yeast etc etc method for my traps. Also, going to put a banana in the back of tank to gather more flies and stop them from going to the front.

Honestly, it's not that bad. I figured out some things in this thread alone that help a lot.

D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Doug,

I'm a bit confused as to where to silicon ends up. Is it on the inside surface of the wall & the edge, on the edge of the door, both, neither. Do you have a construction how to on your vivs? The slanted face is intruiging. How do you keep it clear of condensation?

Thanks for any and all input, sorry if I sound a bit thick, I just wanna wrap my brain around what is going on.
On my vivs, it is on the edges of the glass of the viv itself. I trim it away as shown in the pic with the razor blade just to look neater. The waxed paper keeps it from sticking to the door. On a more typical tank, the silicone would be in the black plastic lip. I'll answer your other questions in a pm as they don't pertain to DJ's thread and I don't want to hijack.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I haven't been able to test it yet, but the Tropical Ecos viv design should be fruit fly proof. I'm using something similar and I honestly don't see how a fly could get out.

You could also design a small water feature at the front of every viv so the flies would get trapped in the water before they could get to the door ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually I do for the most part. Every tank has a swamp in the front as drainage. Basically the swamp is an inch deep with some mosses growing onto wood and duck weed covering surface. They find their way over lol I just need to keep adding security things and each time it should get better and better. luckily they stay at the rack and die there. Whether by frogs or traps lol

D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Turn a bunch of lizards loose to control the escapee flies. A few big snakes should keep the lizard population in check. You'll probably want to get a chimp or two to take out the snakes once everything is cleared out. Releasing a Jane Goodall should take care of any chimp problems.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Turn a bunch of lizards loose to control the escapee flies. A few big snakes should keep the lizard population in check. You'll probably want to get a chimp or two to take out the snakes once everything is cleared out. Releasing a Jane Goodall should take care of any chimp problems.
Are you kidding?? Once you have a Goodall infestation there's nothing you can do!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
OK, so after that would you call in Dr. Scholl?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bigfoot for Jane Goodhall. She actually believed that there was a large upright walking primate in the western united states! lol I sort of do too haha
Bigfoot is real!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Actually I do for the most part. Every tank has a swamp in the front as drainage. Basically the swamp is an inch deep with some mosses growing onto wood and duck weed covering surface. They find their way over lol I just need to keep adding security things and each time it should get better and better. luckily they stay at the rack and die there. Whether by frogs or traps lol

D
They can get through it? :( Well that sucks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts