Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finished my viv except for lights, fogger and Mist King which are in route now. Next will be a plant order. My question is how many frogs? I have a 18x18x24 which is roughly 35 gallons. I plan on starting with Luecs and from doing a search here and online I have come up with 2 per 10 gallon to small groups, which is not very helpful. I would like up to 5 I hope that is not over doing it but I would define that as a small group. If I have to do less then no problem. I have 3 levels set up to take advantage of all the space.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hestonmichael/5873036827/

What I have Zoo Med 18x18x24 GS foam holding on Cork Background, Mopani and grape wood. False bottom made from drainage ducts from Lowes 4 9x9 cut slightly to fit. PVC pipe in back for water removal or waterfall in the future if desired. Silicone sphagnum moss to fill in unsightly spots. Hydroton above the false bottom. I have 20" T5 coming (I know it will hang over a inch on each side) Mist King and Zoo Med fogger. On hand I have to just add the substrate and leaf litter from Josh's Frogs and Vivarium concepts. Over all the last 3 days of work and I am very happy.

·
Banned
503 Posts
luecs are terrestrial, meaning they dont climb that much. An 18x18x24, maybe 3-4. That tank's floor area is very similar to a 10 gallon, but a big bigger. Do your research. There are a few darts that climb, but are more expensive. For example Dendrobates reticulatus are arboreal, and you could probably have a few more. Good luck! :)

·
Banned
915 Posts
I have to leucs of my own that climb all over the tank the are in. The tank is 55gl high, unsure of measurements. In my opinion i wouldn't go pass 4 because all frogs have different personalities and will sometimes stray from the norm.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
leucs climb all the time... Over everything. However they are classified as a terrestrial species and should have plenty of floor space to keep them in groups. From the look of your tank I would recommend no more than a pair. If you _must_ have more then make it a male heavy trio.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
luecs are terrestrial, meaning they dont climb that much. An 18x18x24, maybe 3-4. That tank's floor area is very similar to a 10 gallon, but a big bigger. Do your research. There are a few darts that climb, but are more expensive. For example Dendrobates reticulatus are arboreal, and you could probably have a few more. Good luck! :)
Please do NOT consider Reticulatus. They are by no means, a beginners frog. There are thumbnails that could be done by a beginner like Imitators or Vents, but Retics should NOT be considered for a first frog.
Luecs are terrestrial frog but they do much more climbing than others. Still, your footprint (floor space) is pretty small for 5. I would stick with about 3 myself.
If you wanted to push it up to 4, how about something a step smaller like a tricolor. They would also do a good bit of climbing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts