Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading some older posts and saw that several people were interested in knowing which frogs CANNOT hybridize when housed together. So post any info you can on this subject as i'm sure it will clear up many people's questions...

-Luke

G

·
I think if one had Dendrobates and Phyllobates in a large enough viv it would work out.
Something like Costa Rican auratus and Vittatus comes to mind. I have talked to Brent Brock about this and I may someday try it but for now they each have their own viv.
Mark

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I actually know someone who housed auratus and P. vittatus together in a fairly small viv and they did fine. The vittatus reproduced frequently but the auratus only laid one clutch that I can remember under the mixed setting. I will add that this guy already had several years experience with each species, and a couple others, separately before he tried the mixed tank.

I think roughly the frogs common in the hobby can be divided into the tinc group, the histrio (obligate egg feeder) group, the quinc group, and the Phyllobates. I think it's unlikely that frogs could hybridize across those groups.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any others?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Its pretty much listed as above. If they are in a different genus (in the the case of dendrobates and maybe epipedobates, possibly just different species groups) they techinically wouldn't hybridize. Even though they wouldn't hybridize, this doesn't mean they would cohabitat well.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There are a couple others not mentioned because they are rare or absent in the hobby. Colestethus I doubt would hybridize with the other genera. Minyobates I'm not so sure of. I understand they may get lumped in Dendrobates and I'm not sure what kind of breeding barriers there may be.

Basically I'm guessing there are two types of barriers. Genetic barriers where the frogs are just genetically incompatible to reproduce. I think it's safe to say there is a genetic barrier between any of the genera with the possible exception of Minyobates. The other barrier is behavioral - like an only obligate egg feeders would have the behaviors needed to pull of successfully reproducing with an obligate egg feeder even if genetically they could cross breed with another group. An auratus paired with a pumilio just isn't going to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts