Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 3 foot tank that I want to switch to frogs. The deal is I want it to have a decent sized water area so Darts are out. I was thinking Firebelly Toads but read that they need their tank broken down and sterilized weekly so that is a major NO as this tank will have a background and live plants, etc. (the works)

Is that even true that FBTs need tank serializations? If so why?!

-----------------------------

So what are my options?

I am looking for something that is inexpensive and that can be kept in a group of 5ish. It needs to eat Fruit Flies or Meal-worms.

THANKS!

·
Registered
532 Posts
The deminsions would help. You could put tree frogs in if there is some height and if you waned to you could change it into a vertical tank you could get a custom made vertical kit. It really depends on what you want but I'm pretty sure that for fire-bellies you don't need to break the tank down every week. A partial water change every week and putting springs and isos in the tank would probably be enough.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The deminsions would help. You could put tree frogs in if there is some height and if you waned to you could change it into a vertical tank you could get a custom made vertical kit. It really depends on what you want but I'm pretty sure that for fire-bellies you don't need to break the tank down every week. A partial water change every week and putting springs and isos in the tank would probably be enough.
Can anyone else confirm that Fire bellies do not need a tank sterilization? I spot clean feces and do weekly water changes, plus the water will be filtered.

Tank is 36 x 12 x 20. Vertical is not an option as this tank is in a rack.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can anyone else confirm that Fire bellies do not need a tank sterilization? I spot clean feces and do weekly water changes, plus the water will be filtered

Hi there as far as I know you don't need to sterilezed the tank for feces, I had a paludarium for a while with fish and 8 fire belly toads and I never had a problem, my tank was a 75 gallon tank half tank full wiht water, as long as you have a filter that will move the water it will be fine.

My two cents
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/29051-paludarium-proyect.html

Jausi

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! As far as I can see there is no reason to do major cleanups like the interwebs is telling me i should. I appreciate both your responses. If anyone else can confirm this please comment! FBTs would be awesome for this setup!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
FBT's don't need that. As mentioned earlier, they just need a filter in the water to keep it clean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I work at a pet store, and FBTs don't need sterilization. We don't do it that often. Live plants, isos and springtails will do the job. Also, as mentioned earlier, have a filter so the water area doesn't become stagnant.

I don't have much experience with frogs, but lots of salamanders and newts would do good in that setup. If you have full spectrum lighting, green anoles, grass lizards, and some types of skinks would do good. Also, gater and water snakes would like that, along with a host of other members of Squamata.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts