Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of im not a beginner , but im posting this for someone that is . I breed azureus and have not had a issue with young frogs dying , I gave him 8 of them and one by one they are dying off , I even sold him the same tank that they were in . I had a colony of 18 of the same frogs from same parents at rougly same age and the ones he didnt have seem to be ok . (ive been breeding for @5yrs) he is using josh frogs flies, and reptical temps are 73 issue stands that they are dropping @ one a day with 2 left . they are in same room as other types of frogs , tree frogs and such which Im not used too i only have darts . they were given @ 3 month oow and fecals from parents and some of the young were not heavily loaded . He's not coming back saying i gave him bad froggies but yet i want some more insight as to what the potential problem could be . he stated they are active eaters did not die thin ? any thoughts? I was even thinking something from the other frogs in the room ???

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Its hard to say, but it sounds like they may have gotten something from the other frogs in the room. But obviously thats just an educated guess...

·
Registered
483 Posts
. they were given @ 3 month oow and fecals from parents and some of the young were not heavily loaded .
You say he is using reptical but it he using a vitamin supplement as well?

Does this mean they came back with a low amount of parasites? You don't think the stress from being moved could cause an immune system drop and the parasites to take hold?

Both you and he need to send the fecals off and get appropriate medication if needed.

I am sorry he is loosing froglets like that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i say fecalas were tested they came back within range . Of course everything has something living in it , but my collection was reviewed and stated no issue all level within range . repashy super foods is the correct suppliments used

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My second frog was an azureus, he died a week after I got him this summer. I can only guess that my living room was too hot and/or I had the lamp on top of my viv which made things worst. Big rookie mistake. I dont keep lights directly on my vivs anymore and this summer I will be putting an AC down there or a fan will be aimed at my tanks. I have 2 green tree frogs and a albino pacman in the same room, I highly doubt its the other frogs in the room especially if they arent in the same tank.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My second frog was an azureus, he died a week after I got him this summer. I can only guess that my living room was too hot and/or I had the lamp on top of my viv which made things worst. Big rookie mistake. I dont keep lights directly on my vivs anymore and this summer I will be putting an AC down there or a fan will be aimed at my tanks. I have 2 green tree frogs and a albino pacman in the same room, I highly doubt its the other frogs in the room especially if they arent in the same tank.
Are you the person who bought the frogs? I am very confused.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
when i say fecalas were tested they came back within range . Of course everything has something living in it , but my collection was reviewed and stated no issue all level within range . repashy super foods is the correct suppliments used
That's kind of a loaded statement as there are some very educated people with wildly varying opinions on what is an acceptable parasite load in this hobby. I don't necessarily want to open that can of worms, but I will say it is true that a small seemingly negligible parasite load can increase to lethal levels if the immune system is compromised. Stress can compromise the immune system. Moving can cause stress.

Other than that, it's hard to see from here other causes. I would also look at nighttime temps, other causes of stress (overfeeding, etc) or lethal viv building materials. Normal healthy azureus are pretty hardy animals.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It could have been something to do with parasite loads increasing due to stress etc, as stated, or something picked up by other frogs and herps in their collection. So I would suggest a fecal be done.

Also reptical is not sufficient on it's own for dart frogs, since it is nothing more than calcium with D3, something else must be included. Coupled with the fact it could be an old supplement it is practically useless. The best all around in my opinion is repashy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive been doing this hobby for 12 yrs and only am told when there is a issue with fecals so with in range is the dorky way of saying everything is ok . vits being used are repashy super vit not reptvite or repcal

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
check with other people that got my frogs at same time and they are doing ok . he had them less then a month . even if supplimnets were bad i dont think they would be dying in that ammount of time ???? maybe having siezure's . My thought a happy , healthy frog is one that comes running when food is introduced and based on his statement they would eat fine

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe its something he isnt telling you.
well idk lol I selling most of my froggin stuff for cheap down sizing tanks and racks . The deaths did come up when i asked him about oif he still wanted to purchase the equipement . I dont 100% know him but i dont think he would make a lie But then again you dont know , hes seems very distraught about the deaths . Ive never had a issue with frogs , Maybe once in a while do to my error or my furnace quiting last yr but not 7 deaths in 10 days !!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
7 breeder tanks, 2 light racks , a steel rack for tanks , Various other size tanks , i downsizing only keeping my few breeding pairs

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Supervite Label

NET WEIGHT 5.3 OZ / 150 GR Our Micro Fine Vitamin Supplement powder. Contains both Preformed Vitamin A and Beta Carotene. INFORMATION: SuperVite is the same Vitamin formula that has been the backbone of the SuperFoods line of complete diets and supplements. INGREDIENTS Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate & Dextrose (as carriers), Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement). GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Vitamin A 200,000 IU/lb, Vitamin D 20,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E 2,000 IU/lb, Vitamin K (Metadione) 30mg/lb, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 2,500 mg/lb, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCL) 40 mg/lb, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 70mg/lb, Vitamin B5 (Patothenic Acid) 130 mg/lb, Niacin 450 mg/lb, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) 55 mg/lb, Vitamin B12 .4 mg/lb, Folic Acid 20 mg/lb, Biotin 2 mg/lb, Choline 5,000 mg/lb, Beta Carotene 500 mg/lb. DIRECTIONS: This product can be used as a stand-alone supplement, or mixed with the SuperCal series of Calcium supplements to balance both vitamin and mineral requirements. Using a 1:1 ratio with the SuperCal formulas is a great starting point for supplementation depending on species requirements. It can be mixed with SuperCal (HyD, MeD, LoD, NoD), or used on altered feedings for great flexibility. For insects, dust using the “shake and bake” method with or without SuperCal, depending on your protocol. For fresh fruit and vegetables, mix one heaping teaspoon per Pound. For an “All-in -One” solution, please try Repashy’s Calcium Plus. Refrigeration will extend product life.

Rasphy Calcium Plus is an all in 1' I'm buying it today.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts