Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Frogs are coming in today :). Nervous yet excited. I have taken a long time to set this up and hopeful everything is ready. I'll post picks when they come in.
We share you excitement! (Just a thought though, you may want to use the deli cups they came in as a bait areas for ff with a piece of banana. The tank is awfully large for a small frog to easily find food)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We share you excitement! (Just a thought though, you may want to use the deli cups they came in as a bait areas for ff with a piece of banana. The tank is awfully large for a small frog to easily find food)
Thanks Frogprince, I have been contemplating that myself as I question if they are getting the fruit flies. They are a bit skiddish at this time, so aren't around when I put the flies it. I do also see flies walking around later in the day. I'll get on that and see what happens. Hopefully it will draw out the frogs more as well. Do you guys use anything other than bannanas? I don't think I have any at the moment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Frogprince, I have been contemplating that myself as I question if they are getting the fruit flies. They are a bit skiddish at this time, so aren't around when I put the flies it. I do also see flies walking around later in the day. I'll get on that and see what happens. Hopefully it will draw out the frogs more as well. Do you guys use anything other than bannanas? I don't think I have any at the moment.
I've had the best luck withFflukers orange food for crickets.

·
Administrator
5,111 Posts
I've had the best luck withFflukers orange food for crickets.
It is very unsafe to put these in an enclosure with frogs. The frogs can and do ingest them, and the cubes swell up and the frogs die. These things are even a risk to humans when ingested -- there are a couple cases in journal articles.

Because of the animal safety issues, they shouldn't be used at all, as they can and do transfer with feeder insects unknown to the keeper -- this is how ingestions tend to happen.

FWIW, frogs can find FFs just fine. Just feed and then leave the room so the frogs can hunt. When you see frog poop around, you know the frogs are eating.

·
Super Moderator
3,349 Posts
FWIW, frogs can find FFs just fine. Just feed and then leave the room so the frogs can hunt. When you see frog poop around, you know the frogs are eating.
I've yet to need a feeding station and that includes for Ranitomeya in a 36x18x24" tank, including the froglets that hatch out from broms in the tank...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, in theory you would want something to keep all the flies in one place, especially in the context of other pets where you usually feed them out of a bowl or such. But if our froggy friends were unable to locate fruit flies within our relatively tiny enclosures, they would never last in the wild.
Plus, having to hunt for food provides crucial enrichment, which is otherwise challenging to give, especially when you can't always make dramatic changes to the vivarium hardscape. One's frogs should learn they have to explore and hunt down their sometimes powder-covered prey, rather than just learning to sit patiently by a banana chunk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts