Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any special care for Azureus froglets I need to know about? Or even any advice that could help me out with anything as I am a noob to Darts.

Anything about the type of enclosure to substrare for the youngin helps

DartLover decided to woo me into getting a froglet from him last night haha

Help would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha definitely, it was too good an offer to resist.

Im sure the care is the same as adults, but i just want to make sure. I want this little dude to thrive and hopefully be a potential breeder down the line

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nothing super special about azureus that differs from other tinctorius froglets. I am not sure if you have read this link yet, but it is the standard care sheet for all tinctorius.

I do a simple set up of damp sphagnum moss and leaf litter along with enough places for them to hide. I feed daily and make sure there aren't extra flies walking around to stress them. Still be sure to feed them as much as they will eat, you can even feed small meals twice a day.

Accidental put in too many flies? Drop in a small slice of banana and the flies will congregate there.

Most importantly, Enjoy!

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/14606-dendrobates-azureus-tinctorius-novice.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing super special about azureus that differs from other tinctorius froglets. I am not sure if you have read this link yet, but it is the standard care sheet for all tinctorius.

I do a simple set up of damp sphagnum moss and leaf litter along with enough places for them to hide. I feed daily and make sure there aren't extra flies walking around to stress them. Still be sure to feed them as much as they will eat, you can even feed small meals twice a day.

Accidental put in too many flies? Drop in a small slice of banana and the flies will congregate there.

Most importantly, Enjoy!

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/14606-dendrobates-azureus-tinctorius-novice.html

awesome, thank you :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question,

How do you get a couple ff out of the culture without them all swarming out?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I always tap the fruit fly cultures down a few times on a counter or something, and don't forget to tap the lid in case any are hanging on the top. Then quickly open the culture and turn it just barely pointed downwards, or even just sideways would work, and tap them slowly into a container to mix them with powder. Do this part slowly and carefully so they don't all fall out into the cup, and the tapping should keep them from going everywhere. Immediately tap the culture and put the lid on it after this. You may want to do this over an open tank or something so that any escapees don't cause a problem. It takes practice at first but you get the hang of it.
Bryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay cool. I do have one more question though, ive had the froglet since last night and am wondering how long it should take to get used to the new temp enclosure and when i should feed him

·
Registered
483 Posts
You could definitely try feeding it today, just put two or three flies in at first to see if it goes for them and then add a few more, then a few more till its full and doesn't take anymore. This will give you a clue how much it will eat without over or underfeeding.

I usually just have a 15-20 minute sit down session when feeding new froglets to make sure everyone is eating and there are no problems.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
One more question,

How do you get a couple ff out of the culture without them all swarming out?
One good trick for that is to put the culture in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes and allowing the FFs to cool down. They'll be lethargic and easier to work with!

Don't put them in the freezer or forget about them in the fridge though; they might die.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here is a video from one of our sponsors

I tap the fly culture on the table to get them to fall to the bottom and then tap both fingers on the culture and the culture to the feeding container. You can do this over the sink so you can wash away any that get away.

The first time is a little frantic, but I have never used the refrigerator method.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have all been very helpful. Now, i have the froglet in a critter keeper with saran wrap under the lid to keep the ff from getting out. Does anyone have any other methods that can be recommended? I was thinking packing tape, since it should be fine if i just open the lid twice a day for ventilation, but i could be wrong

·
Registered
483 Posts
There are a lot of options for froglet grow out containers. You can use the search function on the middle/right of the top green bar, and if that doesn't help, I always google

site:dendroboard.com froglet grow out container

And this comes up with a LOT of information.
Just keep reading and doing your research on the board and you should be fine. There is a wealth of information here, just takes a little time to sort though.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
There are also a lot of clear plastic storage bin/ shoe boxes type containers available at local stores that don't have holes so you don't need to worry about frogs drying out as easily if you don't decide to get a glass tank. The key to remember with plastic containers is that some have gaps in the lids that you wouldn't think of, so always check carefully that the one you want doesn't have large enough cracks to let ff or the froglet escape. Also, plastic tanks seem to heat up much faster than glass, especially if they have any sunlight hitting them.
I prefer glass tanks from a pet store with the matching glass tops because they fit together and are designed for animals like frogs.
Bryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i prefer these:

Animal Display Containers- Breeding- Josh's Frogs

I use the 96 oz ones with sphagnum, leaf litter, and plant clippings to grow out froglets for a couple months until they are transferred to a bigger tank. The lids snap down tight, no fruitflies can escape.

I wouldn't do the critter keeper with saran wrap.....too much of a pain!
the only problem is now that i have it set up i dont want to transfer the dart again, worried it would cause too much stress

1 - 17 of 17 Posts