Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im really worried about one of my vent tads that is starting to come out of the water. He is not using his front limbs...
How can i tell if he has SLS. When do i need to decide to put him down? :(

His/Her sibling has not morphed their front limbs yet and is still in the water.
Legs seem to be fully developed....

I have been keeping them in spring water with a couple of drops of blackwater extract and feeding them a couple of pellets of tad bites a week.

Do i need to post pics?

Im really down about this, and Im not sure what to do and could use some advise :(

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Fully developed and not using front legs? Sounds like SLS to me. What frogs are these? I suggest a pinch or two of Repashy Superpig per week in the tad cup when you're raising these next time. People while chime in though with specific supplements depending on the species.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Adam,

I wouldn't try to make any definitive conclusions about sls until the froglet has fully morphed-out. It could just take him a few day to get going. If he can't get around on land and can't eat any food, then the diagnosis will be clearer.

Good luck, Richard.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Fully developed and not using front legs? Sounds like SLS to me. What frogs are these? I suggest a pinch or two of Repashy Superpig per week in the tad cup when you're raising these next time. People while chime in though with specific supplements depending on the species.
A lot of SLS problems actually start before the tadpole even hatches. If the impact occurs in the egg, you can't correct it post hatching. It is more important to make sure the adults are properly supplemented than to try and correct it afterwards.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dust my ffs with repcal calcium with vid.d and herptivite every feeding

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I dust my ffs with repcal calcium with vid.d and herptivite every feeding
I would suggest adding a supplement that contains vitamin A as retinyl palmitate to your rotation as there is evidence that supplements that supply only beta carotene are insufficient in providing vitamin A to the frogs.
This has been discussed a few times on the forum.

Ed

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would suggest upgrading to a higher quality supplement. I have heard a couple of different froggers claim that their deficiency issues have been fixed via a change in supps that are geared more towards our frogs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kk so vitamin A.. got it

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
And switch to, or at add into rotation, Repashy Calcium Plus (formerly Repashy Calcium Plus ICB).

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Pics would be helpful, too. Sometimes you can tell at a glance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the first tad with the SLS died :(

I was looking at his/her sibling and it doesnt look like its growing any front limbs at all... and its hind legs look fully developed...is this another symptom of SLS?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well, the first tad with the SLS died :(

I was looking at his/her sibling and it doesnt look like its growing any front limbs at all... and its hind legs look fully developed...is this another symptom of SLS?
Sorry, but yes. In some cases the frog can morph with no front legs at all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so im looking at this

Repashy SuperMin (4 oz)

dusting ffs in just this would be giving my frogs sufficient vitamins so this will not happen again?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
not to get off topic, but ed was suggesting finding a supp with vit A in the form of retinyl palmitate instead of beta carotine. as discussed in many other threads there is evidence to suggest that the beta carotine is not absorbed and processed as efficiently as retiol or retinyl palmitate. both can be found online with a little searching.

these will help: search these #s exactly as they appear
79-81-2
68-26-8

dartasylum: as discussed many times, repashy ICB should NOT be used as the sole supplement for your animals. there is insufficient evidence to suggest it can safely be used as such. dont get me wrong i love the stuff, but i wouldnt use it alone.

james

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I would not say that we know enough that we can say that Repashy ICB can't be used as the sole supplement. All we have is data on the older supplements where they were deficient on one or more ingredients and go forward from that point.

It is unlikely that we are going to see a neutral third party analyze the supplements and publish the results with a name of the supplement attached as lawsuits were promised if it was repeated.

Ed

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks james and ed

no offence to ed hes a smart guy but sometimes i dont understand because its too technical :]

i understood what james said :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts