Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While agonizing over whether to give my P. Terribilis froglets a lush vivarium so they'll feel most secure, vs giving them a bare bones enclosure so I can closely monitor their health, I got curious what the rest of y'all do for your froglets/juveniles.

Bare bones bin? Or a fully stocked vivarium? Or something in between? And why!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 10 gallon tank, mix of ABG and turface (er, SafeTSorb) substrate, tons of leaf litter, and a couple small plants I had on hand (a little rattlesnake calathea and a marble rubber plant). Tossed a coco hut in there for more hiding space, some cheap picture frame glass on top of the screen to hold humidity in, and a nicrew light that I had from another tank. The froglets hide under the leaves 95% of the time. Not going overboard allows me to keep close eyes on them and their feeding, and I'm putting my main effort into their primary vivarium that they'll move into.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the same situation as you, wondering what the best option is for housing froglets.

For awhile, I kept my froglets in simple cages, with a moist substrate and large leaves to hide under. They did fine, but spent all of their time hiding.

Currently, I've been transfering my froglets into larger, planted cages, especially as they get a little larger, a few weeks past morphing out of the water. In the larger planted tanks, the froglets are far more active and visible, which I take to be a good sign. And with the microfauna present (springtails, frequently replenished), I think they have better "snacking" options in between feedings. But I am relatively new to this, so there could be downsides to this approach. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts