Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Haha I saw this in the News and Observer yesterday and thought about posting it but figured someone must have already done it. Crazy. I only saw a pic of the grown frog, do they have any of the tads with fangs?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Amazing.....I wonder if the fangs are for holding on to like a fish or something while it eats the slime and bactria off the fish's slime coat......Pretty interesting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Theres a pic of the tadpoles fangs in this article...

Vampire flying frog - the latest species discovered

They are guessing that they are not used for hunting but more to hang on to the edges of the holes they are laid in or something similar. Apparently they are laid high up in the trees.

Very cool, thanks for posting!

Georgia

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
134 Posts
They definitely look more like grasping tools than anything else to me...N&O article mentioned that the frogs spawn 40 feet up in trees or something. Could help to avoid falls? Reminds me of one of those infamous catfish in the Amazon in that picture...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very cool, perhaps the tads use the fangs to grasp on the back of the frog while the frog glides around the canopy searching for other spots to deposit the tad?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.