Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Frank, out of curiosity, how dangerous are bee/wasp stings to large toads (or frog)? I can see this being an interesting experiment for a biology class, but I wouldn't attempt it if it was potentially hazardous for the road/frog.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frank, out of curiosity, how dangerous are bee/wasp stings to large toads (or frog)? I can see this being an interesting experiment for a biology class, but I wouldn't attempt it if it was potentially hazardous for the road/frog.
Hi Jacob,

It seems to depend upon the species of frog and bee/wasp. I have seen green frogs swallow "sweat bees" (small, solitary species) and reject honeybees. Avoidance is, as far as I know, based on the experience of being stung, so frogs likely survive stings of most native species. However, some of the larger cicada killer species, or those that specialize in preying upon spiders, might be able to do severe damage; same as regards the Giant European Hornet, which is now established in the USA.

African Bullfrogs seem impervious to pain...I've seen footage of them swallowing huge centipedes and scorpions, all the while being bitten and stung - I'm sure they just "laugh" at bees - but then again there are some very serious African wasps and bees! You might enjoy this on an Af Bullfrog that consumed 17 hatchling spitting cobras: An Appetite for Cobras: Huge Bullfrog Meals | That Reptile Blog

Best, Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts