Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input from the members here on some suggestions for frogs for a 29 gallon horizontal vivarium. It has a four bulb t-5 light over it with 2 10k bulbs and 2 6500k bulbs, Mistking mist system (2 double headed heads), planted with sheet moss, some nice broms from Jason at Tropical Plants, Fittonia, Purple Waffle Leaf Plant, and cuttings of Wandering Jew and Columnea Carnival all from Mike at NeHerp. The viv has hydroton as a base layer, then screen, then abg mix. Malaysian Driftwood in the back, which is what the broms are mounted to. Viv is also plumbed through the bottom to a five gallon bucket for drainage. I am real happy with the set up so far but kind of at a loss for frogs. Have some experience with different tree frog species and have successfully kept azureus dart frogs in an 18 x 18 x 18" planted zoo med viv. I want something that is obviously more terrestrial but would make a really nice colorful display. Also in the suggestions could everybody also make suggestons on quanity to please.

·
Registered
454 Posts
have you monitored your temps? with only 2 T8's on my 29gallon, my temps reach 95F. I say this b/c you didn't mention fans at all....and I'd imagine 4x T5 to get hotter than 2x T8

you should consider switching the 10k bulbs to 65k bulbs for better plant coloration. Terrestrial plants like the red spectrum :)

Sorry I can't help with the frogs, but it seems like most terrestrial darts would work based on your description. Since its horizontal, I'd maybe avoid arboreals. Hope that gets you started at least

As for quantity....2-3 max, I usually do no more than 10-gallon per animal

a pic would help too :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will throw a thermometer in to check temps. What all do I have to choose from as far as terrestrial frogs? I thought about leucromelas but thought maybe I was selling myself short and there might be something more exciting visually. Mantellas were another thought.

·
Registered
366 Posts
have you monitored your temps? with only 2 T8's on my 29gallon, my temps reach 95F. I say this b/c you didn't mention fans at all....and I'd imagine 4x T5 to get hotter than 2x T8

you should consider switching the 10k bulbs to 65k bulbs for better plant coloration. Terrestrial plants like the red spectrum :)

Sorry I can't help with the frogs, but it seems like most terrestrial darts would work based on your description. Since its horizontal, I'd maybe avoid arboreals. Hope that gets you started at least

As for quantity....2-3 max, I usually do no more than 10-gallon per animal

a pic would help too :)
I actually disagree with most of this. First, as for lighting, the 10K bulbs are fine. Personally, I prefer the visual color they put out versus the 6500K. You've got plenty of light where you don't have to worry about shifting all the bulbs to a preferable spectrum.

Second, a 29 gallon is a tall tank. If you prefer thumbs and aboreals, you have plenty of vertical space to work with, depending on how you build. However, something like leucs will use both vertical and horizontal space, and make for a good group frog. Mantellas would also work. But I think you need to tell us what you like before we can make reccomendations. And as far as numbers, 2-3 animals is a vague ballpark, as it all depends on the species. I would be completely comfortable with 4 leucs, or a whole group of vents, however, if you go with some sort of tinctorius, you'd want to stay with just a pair since they're not a good group frog.

As I said, look through the care sheets and get an idea of what frogs you like, then we can guide you towards what options are best.

Pat

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely something that can be kept in a small group and also looking for something with the brightest colors. I know that doesn't help much. I need to find something online as a reference for what is available and doesnt' require the husbandry of an expert, assuming Pumillios are out probably not the appropriate set up for them anyhow as is covered with sheet moss and not leaf litter.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Definitely something that can be kept in a small group and also looking for something with the brightest colors. I know that doesn't help much. I need to find something online as a reference for what is available and doesnt' require the husbandry of an expert, assuming Pumillios are out probably not the appropriate set up for them anyhow as is covered with sheet moss and not leaf litter.
I'd recommend leaf litter over moss any day for all kinds of darts... It provides terrestrial hiding places and is great for microfauna. If you want a larger group frog, I would recommend Dendrobates leucomelas, phyllobates vitattus, or mantellas. If you want a smaller-bodied group frog, I'd go with Ranitomeya Amazonicus (formerly ventramiculatus) or Ranitomeya imitator (standard green ones were my first thumb).

If you haven't started culturing your fruit flies, I'd get started now. You'll find plenty of recent threads about flies :)

-Christian

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.022582,-117.120661

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm keeping a trio of Azureus now so, I have the fruit fly culturing down so long as I keep ahead. Every once in a while I have to order a producing culture to get some more cultures going. Thanks for the replies so far everybody, it is helping.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
You can also do a few P. bicolor in there, a nice group of E. anthonyi Santa Isabel, and yes A. galactonotus would make use of that tank too, although they're a tad shyer than some of these other species....

Every collection should have the proverbial CANARY(D. leucomelas) as well, one just can't say enough good things about them! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In all honesty that's more than likely what will end up in there unless someone comes up with something off the wall that's interesting or I am able to find Golden Mantellas. Like you said they just kind of make sense as far as being communal, affordable, and would make use of a terrestreal set up. Any preference on the Leucs? Fine Spot, Brittish Guyana Banded, or Green Toed?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far temps havent risen above 78 degrees (Digital) or 80 degree analog. Humidity had been close to 90%.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
For that kind of tank I would get either terribilis or tinctorius. The terribs are able to be kept in group as adults, but are about twice as expensisive as tintorius, at about $65 a froglet. Tinctorius can be kept in groups as froglets, but is highly reccomended against keeping them in groups as adults. The normal cost is about $30 a froglet. You get much more variety if you choose tinctorius, with over 30 different color morphs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts