Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, I moved one of my Leucs into his new terrarium. It has a stream and little water area. With in minutes he jumps into the water and heads for a DEAD-END. The rocks are pretty large and tight, There's no way out. Some are even siliconed together. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I panicked and started ripping the rocks out. Hope not to CRUSH the little guy. I got him out after a minute and he jumped out of the tank. (That will be another post)

So did I panic, how long can a leuc hold his breath under water? He was completely under with no access to the surface...

Here's a photo of him heading deeper getting more stuck.
Turtle Reptile Tortoise Pond turtle Kinosternidae

Steve

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I pulled the LARGE rock and put in gravel.
Filled all the holes I could find. But the frog back and YEP immediately he found a new hiding spot? Can you find him in this photo? Is he OK, should I just turn the lights off and forget about him? I'm sure the frog is stressed, but I am also now.

Yep WEDGED in behind some great stuff, I'm blocking that spot tomorrow if he ever comes out.

Steve

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a photo of the new enclosure? Do you have sufficient hiding spots for him? Lack of hiding and introduced into a new enclosure could have stressed him out and sent him over the edge....wish I could be more help. I'm sure someone else will chime in
YES, Here is the terrarium. The leaf litter, a Hut and even a cork bark he can hide in. I think he might've just freaked out?? This is my shy Leuc that did always hide. I plan to have him in this tank for a week or two and then place my other two in there with him.
Terrestrial plant Plant Flower Organism Adaptation

Steve

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a bi color do this i thought he would be fine so i left him and he drowned. When i came back to the tank later he was floating. I have since removed the water feature from the bi color tank...
OMG - I am sorry to hear that. I did feel that this frog was getting stuck, as I said in a previous post, some of the rock where silicone together and I had to tear them apart to get to the frog, he was wedged in good and going deeper. It was also scary tearing them apart without crushing the frog.
This morning he did finally find his hut!

Silicone Rocks = BAD IDEA.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.