Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first tank after reading this forum for the last few weeks and gathering all my materials. I ended up with a 20gal tall tank planted horizontally with a small false corner made of GS. I'm looking for 2-3 frogs with the potential to learn about breeding practices/conditions. I don't want anything too pricey either;) The more I look at different species, the more I'm liking all of them!- oh, and I'm planning on going to a local frog show the first week of May. I just wanted to have an idea of what to get before I go so as to not be to overwhelmed and impulsive in my decision ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
theres lots of good species you could place in a 20 twenty tall. i d recommend a pair of what ever species, a trio would be pushing it. Leucs are always a good choice, as well as auratus, or a pair of some of the smaller tincs, or my personal favorite galacs. Most of those frogs you should be able to pick up for under 50 dollars a piece. are you talking about attending North West Frog Fest?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Northwest Frog Fest is where I'm planning on getting my first frogs- I guess I timed my entering into this hobby well and I live 30 minutes north of Tacoma. From my browsing over this forum for the last few weeks it seems there's a pretty big following of PDF's in the northwest.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Leucomelas, auratus, tinctorius or terribilis would be my inintial reccomendations.
If you can't guarantee your temps will stay below 80, count the terribilis out, as these are supposed to be touchier about temps than, say the leucomelas.
I personally am thrilled to have gotten leucs as my first frogs, but to each their own. Tinc people would tell you to get tincs, auratus fans the same.
For boldness, go with tincs or leucs, as auratus seem to be shier, and seeing your frogs is at least half the point.

I too am excited for frogfest!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree Leucs or tinc are the best for your first frogs. If you are in the NW there are a lot of froggers here in the area.

Join WADS we have meeting every now and then.
Welcome to WADS

See ya at Frogfest :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
biggest thing is to decide how bold of a frog you d like, and how large of a frog you d like. just be sure to get a species you d be happy with, not necessarily what everyone else would get

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got a 20 tall with 2 leucs and they seem to be doing very well. Azureus are also a good beginner frog. They seem to be very hardy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Galacts! You can't go wrong!

I see everybody saying they're extremely shy, but I always see mine somewhere in the open. They just seem so mysterious to me!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Leucos and Azureus gets my vote, One really cannot find more forgiving frogs then these to temperature/feeding/lighting etc... One might get some problems with over aggressive Azureus females so if your looking for a group, leuco's are a great forgiving frog.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Leucs from me. I've been having problems with visibility from my azureus. Maybe I've just got weird azureus, but it's all about the leucs for me. If you decide to move them to a bigger tank you won't have as much of a problem putting more in the larger viv, you'll actually _hear_ your leucs when they start calling. But that's just my .02

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Tinc people would tell you to get tincs, auratus fans the same.
For boldness, go with tincs or leucs, as auratus seem to be shier, and seeing your frogs is at least half the point.
I agree. Being a huge tinc fan I'd recommend tincs or azureus :D. I've only had my azureus froglets for 4 days and they're already starting to come out from under a leaf to watch me watch them.

When I was trying to figure out which my first frogs should be I was given the same options and then someone said something that made perfect sense: "Keep what you like."
Of course this has to be taken within the parameters of beginner level frogs but it's really the best thing you can do for yourself and your frogs. I decided on azureus because I'm in love with the color blue, and while so many tincs have stunning shades of blue (sometimes even blending into yellow or white) the azureus really take the cake for having that royal, eye-popping blue. I knew that seeing them in their viv would never get old. On the same token, if you like yellow go with leucs (or tincs), and if you like green go with auratus (.... or tincs ;)). Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
"Keep what you like."
This seems like very good advice to me. The hardest frog to take care of is the one that you don't really want. I'm by no means an expert, but I've kept a pair of azureus, a pair of auratus, and a pair of vents, and really, they're all reasonably forgiving. I realize that is not the case with every species, however, I think that if you do the research and really know what you're getting into beforehand, many species of darts can make good beginner frogs. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd go with azureus if I were u. That is my first pdf and I was not at all dissappointed. They are very outgoing and always eating, a perfect choice for a begginner like u. Leucs are are also very bold and hardy, but I can't say much about them considering I don't have any yet! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts