Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what frog is best for me. I believe I would like some "climbers" maybe a type of tree frog perhaps. Can anyone tell me some frogs which are not particularly loud? I live in a very small house, and I have 2 small dogs. I mention that because I have heard of frogs which make "barking" sounds which drove their dogs nuts. I don't want to get any frogs which are particularly obnoxiously loud if that is even possible.

Any help on this topic would be great. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
hello and welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for tree frogs then this post belongs in the Tree frogs - Dendroboard section of the forum. If you want, I can move it there for you.

If you are looking for darts, there are a lot of different threads about about dart frog calls on the forum. I recommend taking some time and using the search function to see what has been covered in some existing threads, there is a lot of good information there.

Another thing you may want to do is check out youtube and search for calling videos of the particular species you are interested in. Search for "red eyed tree frog calling" etc.

For dart frog calls, check out these sites:
Dendrobates.org - Species accounts
MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll second the loud calls. I grew up with tree frogs all over and found the sound relaxing on a summer night with the windows open. Though, they were out in the trees and I was indoors. They are suuuuuper loud when they're inside your house. I've had a bunch of Eastern Grays and American Greens over the years and they call loud and often.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A lot of tree frogs are nocturnal, which means they'll probably be calling at night. Darts are mostly diurnal, but they may continue to call after lights out (mine do). But tincs are pretty quite, if the sound they'll create is a big concern, go with them.

·
Super Moderator
3,349 Posts
A lot of tree frogs are nocturnal, which means they'll probably be calling at night. Darts are mostly diurnal, but they may continue to call after lights out (mine do). But tincs are pretty quite, if the sound they'll create is a big concern, go with them.
Like I said 2 posts ago /\ /\

·
Registered
107 Posts
Regarding the OP, perhaps some Imitators would be ideal. Tree frogs usually need a decent sized enclosure (from what I've personally seen), and being he said small house.... A set of thumbs wouldn't be a bad idea, and he could get some that have a particularly low call. Being he also also said "climbers" could mean some type of aboreal frog.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I think most dart frogs don't make loud calling noises. I think the only exception are leucomelas. I think pumilio can be noisy as well, but not as loud as leucs are.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some thumbs such as vanzolini could be considered loud too. Auratus have a soft call like tincs. You should keep in mind that most dart frogs calls are nothing like a bark. My dog ignores the calls like he would an insect call. You tube has videos of most species calling. Maybe you could play a video of the frog you want and see if the dogs react.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Regarding the OP, perhaps some Imitators would be ideal. Tree frogs usually need a decent sized enclosure (from what I've personally seen), and being he said small house.... A set of thumbs wouldn't be a bad idea, and he could get some that have a particularly low call. Being he also also said "climbers" could mean some type of aboreal frog.
I agree that some type of thumbnail frog would be a good option, largely since the OP mentioned that "climbers" would be best. In my experience, imitators can be somewhat loud, but what about another species of thumbs that is more quiet--maybe variabilis?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts