Dendroboard banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
There is the categorizing of the animals into convenient Slots of environment stratosphere.."this guy stays on the ground level, the other guy is going to live up there" and "whilst this guy is sleeping, the other guy will be active.."
But I have found behaviors to not fit into slots like that. It is plastic.

And unless people see them in overt conflict, or eating each other they dismiss or dont fathom the awareness of the mixed subjects living in proxy with no option to self locate to another place.

Reactions: Fahad

·
Registered
224 Posts
And unless people see them in overt conflict, or eating each other they dismiss or don't fathom the awareness of the mixed subjects living in proxy with no option to self locate to another place.
I would assume that all of our frogs, given the choice, would self locate out of captivity. We keep them in glass boxes for our amusement. We strive to provide them the best environments we can provide. Why do we assume that the presents of a morning gecko is more stressful then a rival male or female in a group of frogs?

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
The but their in a glass box anyway so.. is a straw man.

One goal of herpetoculture is to learn ways to create as much of a cultured equation of what is reality for the subject, in a captive system that we can.

One of the factors that make this possible inmo, is that reptiles and amphibian behavior is strongly cue oriented. Replicating cues is possible and becoming more so.

Having different animals together creates even more novel conditions in the glass box.

Perhaps after time there is desensitization.

Im not interested in watching behaviors affected by that, either.

I dont really have an answer about what is more stressful, a rival frog or a mourning gecko, because Im not interested in that. I am interested in learning how to minimize as many novel stressors in an environment as I can because thats what I want to look at.

Reactions: Fahad

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did this become a thing? I don't remember this bad practice being so widespread in the hobby before
Im brand new, but josh's frogs seems to put them together when you look at their deals. I was under the impression they made good tank mates, to the point I was considering getting some.... but reading this has me questioning that now. Here I was thinking I had done more than enough research.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Im brand new, but josh's frogs seems to put them together when you look at their deals. I was under the impression they made good tank mates, to the point I was considering getting some.... but reading this has me questioning that now. Here I was thinking I had done more than enough research.
They aren't good tank mates.

One should always be weary of "deals" put together by vendors. Their interest inevitably leans towards selling you things whether it's a good husbandry practice or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here I was thinking I had done more than enough research.
Research is never over. New insights are provided on a daily basis. Husbandry practices are changed according to this. There is never a perfect way of keeping frogs (doing anything in that regard). To me that's a big part of what draws me to this hobby.

What I've learned along the way is that sellers/stores aren't good sources and common sense goes a long way. I think the majority of caresheets online are lacklustre at best and always state the bare minimum. Reddit is also one of the worst sources, lots of people join r/vivarium or r/dartfrogs and give advice based on what the reader wants to hear to get upvotes and portray themselves as so called 'experts'.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts