Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1.0 D. Leucomelas - 8 E. Anthonyi - 2 D. Tinctorius 'Tumucumaque'
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just caught my leucomelas sitting in the mourning gecko's food dish, is this okay? I sprayed him off a little afterwards just in case.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Leave it to a leuc..:giggle:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think they just hop around and you happened to catch this one in the slop. I don’t believe it indicates a need for a water dish.

I keep bait stations in my vivs, and sometimes it gets soupy and I’ve seen frogs accidentally step in it. With my setups, I worry about bacterial infections since the bait stations are literally rotting fruit. For that reason, I try to keep them from getting too goopy.

In your circumstances, this would be a fresh slurry so I wouldn’t worry about infection risk. That said, the general recommendation is not to mix herp species. And the frogs will track the gecko food all around.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
How did this become a thing? I don't remember this bad practice being so widespread in the hobby before
Unfortunately this is more than just common in europe.. So is mixing multiple species and keeping frogs in oversatured enclosures.

Finding herps that are kept the correct way seem to be the rare case here..

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not suggesting keeping MG's with dart frogs is a good practice.

But, aside from the obvious really bad ideas like a terribilis eating a baby gecko or a gecko eating a baby Ranitomeya has anyone experienced issues with these set ups? I'm not talking about what could happen. But, real negative experiences.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Its extremely irritating. The azureus with the "gecko buddy" by his side.

Its chilling generally to see the science of marketing in operation. Always dumbing down, because it takes less energy and time to support people in learning a beautiful, ever expanding discipline that can enrich a lifetime.

·
Registered
615 Posts

But, aside from the obvious really bad ideas like a terribilis eating a baby gecko or a gecko eating a baby Ranitomeya has anyone experienced issues with these set ups? I'm not talking about what could happen. But, real negative experiences.
My motivation for not mixing is
1) Almost any viv is WAY too small to offer temp/humidity/social gradients for 2 different herps. I'm guessing the negative effects here would be difficult to isolate and specifically pin on "mixing." Similar to the incredibly common posts we see here where someone is keeping too many frogs in too small/wet/whatever conditions, and "suddenly" 1 of the frogs is sick/swollen/skinny and we all try to help and it dies the next day. Hard to say exactly which variable killed that frog.

2) Novel pathogens. I understand the concept here, and keeping 2 different herps in a (relatively) small space would increase the likelihood. But I also don't think it's the boogieman we make it out to be, and reason #1 is enough.

BUT, I do like the practical approach here- looking for actual bad experiences vs theory. Especially since we all hound it so hard.

·
Registered
733 Posts

I doubt there are too many negative experiences with keeping these less aggressive eaters...tincs/leucs/galacs, with mourning gecko's. I'm not a fan myself, but I can see the draw. I can't seem them really harming each other to be honest. Maybe some baby mourning gecko's get eaten.

Even if there was, people are less inclined to share because they get crucified for them, haha.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Dont mind me im a cranky old stegasaurus

·
Registered
535 Posts
I doubt there are too many negative experiences with keeping these less aggressive eaters...tincs/leucs/galacs, with mourning gecko's. I'm not a fan myself, but I can see the draw. I can't seem them really harming each other to be honest. Maybe some baby mourning gecko's get eaten.

Even if there was, people are less inclined to share because they get crucified for them, haha.
This is the thing. No one broadcasts their failures. And since most of the herp hobby in general frowns on mixing species, people who do it aren't going to tell people when it fails. What we know is even species that need similar environments can have special needs that conflict with the other's needs. We know there is absolutely no enclosure being used by the people who do mix that is big enough for two separate species. You never see the people who mix show an image of their 8x4x4' enclosure. It's always here are my 3 frogs and 2 day geckos in this small exo-terra or 20 gallon aquarium.

If anyone wants more info on novel pathogens, I suggest you go search for all of Ed's comments on it. As a matter of fact, just go read every single response Ed has ever said on this board.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My motivation for not mixing is
1) Almost any viv is WAY too small to offer temp/humidity/social gradients for 2 different herps.
I think this is the big one. Even if you have a 200 gallon, or bookcase-sized enclosure for your animals, it's still a tiny compared to their natural habitat. It would be unlikely that you'd find two different species like this cohabitating in such a small area in nature.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
@Bunsincunsin Hey Shawn, I have given Darts small replaceable, shallow water - these were chosen carefully and kept constantly flushed and refreshed.

it can lead to complacency and can be heavy handidly applied but, though said to be unnesseary I personally like the uptake provision of a cleanly contained shallow. Im very controlling about water, though.

Maybe hes getting a sugar hi. Lol

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Part of the resistance to mixing species is not that we're trying to avoid bad outcomes -- death, disease -- but promote good ones:

-- animals using their enclosures completely and well (e.g. not restricted to the only warm dry spot in a cool moist tank; being able to choose any decent spot to spend the night instead of trying to find the one tiny spot that the F'ing geckos don't tromp all over all night long),

--animals exhibiting behavior that isn't modified by being forced to live way too close to a microhabitat-sharing species,

-- keepers being able to design an enclosure for the benefit of one species (which is already quite challenging enough, given the limits of captivity) rather than designing one that "will work" for two, or more,

and so on. Even if it doesn't look like mixing species causes harm, it sure doesn't advantage either species that are forced to live together, so from an animal husbandry POV there isn't any motivation at all to do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts