Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm getting ready to build a terrarium for my orchids (my specialty is cool-ish growing shade-loving micros) and I'd like to add a couple of frogs to the set up. The set-up will be about 19"W x 13"D x 15"H. I'm generally experienced with birds and mammals and a beginner with herps, but not completely inexperienced due to a few reptiles and amphibians getting mixed in with the departments I've volunteered or interned with at a few zoos over the years. One of them even had some dart frogs.

I'm pretty flexible with regards to what I'm looking for.
I'm not planning to actively attempt to breed, but I won't be upset if I do end up with offspring. I don't mind playing find-the-critter with frogs that prefer to stay out of sight more, though the most shy or easily stressed species would be a poor choice because the viv will be located in my kitchen and it's about as close to a high-traffic area as my house gets. I'm aiming for tank temps in the low-mid 70's.

I've been looking at Josh's Frogs and there's three particular species/morphs that caught my eye. Two are out of stock, but I need to get the plants established first and then worry about the frogs, so I have time to wait or see if I can find them somewhere else.

Phyllobates bicolor 'Green Leg'
Ranitomeya ventrimaculata 'French Guiana Yellow'
Dendrobates auratus 'Turquoise and Bronze'

I can't decide which I like best. Does anyone see any reason that one of these would be more ideal, or that any of these would be a poor choice?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Vents will utilize the entire viv more so than the Bicolor or Auratus will. Bicolor and Auratus are far less arboreal. I guess it depends on what you prefer. Bicolor are the boldest, most visible of the 3 species in my experience. Best of luck!

JBear

Reactions: Encyclia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello!
I'm getting ready to build a terrarium for my orchids (my specialty is cool-ish growing shade-loving micros) and I'd like to add a couple of frogs to the set up. The set-up will be about 19"W x 13"D x 15"H. I'm generally experienced with birds and mammals and a beginner with herps, but not completely inexperienced due to a few reptiles and amphibians getting mixed in with the departments I've volunteered or interned with at a few zoos over the years. One of them even had some dart frogs.

I'm pretty flexible with regards to what I'm looking for.
I'm not planning to actively attempt to breed, but I won't be upset if I do end up with offspring. I don't mind playing find-the-critter with frogs that prefer to stay out of sight more, though the most shy or easily stressed species would be a poor choice because the viv will be located in my kitchen and it's about as close to a high-traffic area as my house gets. I'm aiming for tank temps in the low-mid 70's.

I've been looking at Josh's Frogs and there's three particular species/morphs that caught my eye. Two are out of stock, but I need to get the plants established first and then worry about the frogs, so I have time to wait or see if I can find them somewhere else.

I can't decide which I like best. Does anyone see any reason that one of these would be more ideal, or that any of these would be a poor choice?
I'm also a beginner and i'm thinking of getting Auratus "Turquoise and Bronze" as well. They are very pretty and my second fav (y)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would put a Ranitomeya species in there. They are not quite as tough as Dendrobates but, they are not too bad. I assume you will be creating lots of arboreal space for the orchids. That would suit them.

·
Super Moderator
3,603 Posts
I wouldn't put too much discussion into this one: almost five year old thread, and the OP never stuck around. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts