Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my first dart frogs a few weeks ago which was 4 blue bronze auratus. Pretty cool little frogs except I never see them. The big one hides under a plant and the other three hang out under the leaf litter. I know where they are but I really would like some frogs I see all the time. I'm going to be setting up a bigger vivarium in my 56g column tank once I get the fish out of it. I have an awesome stump piece that will be going in it. I would like to do a group of five frogs or so that are bold and active. This tank is right by the door so I would like it to be a tank that it doesn't take a frogger to find the frogs and appreciate them. A showpiece kinda.

So far it seems like my options are either leucs or terribilis. Are there any other largish and bold frogs? I like the mint teribs but they get pricey. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have quite a few frogs, the ones that I always see are my terribilis, azureus and matecho. I have leucs as well, 10 in a large display tank, can usually find at least 4 or 5, but rarely all at the same time. If you want nice big bold frogs though, I would definitely say go with terribilis, if you watch around, can get good deals on mints here and there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Of the frogs i have my luecs are always out from lights on till about an hour before lights out and they do well in groups and have the bright color for the most unfrogger people to find. Oh and they call loud. My azureus are bold but lot nearly as bold as the luecs. My tinks hide all the time. My vote would be for the luecs.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you are looking for both a bold and active frog and you have narrowed it down to mints or leucs...I would go leucs. While my mints are fearless and out all the time, I wouldn't call them active, unless of course its feeding time! I would say that leucs are much more active throughout the day.

However Auratus, aren't that bold.
Careful, my Costa Rican auratus are incredibly bold. While I have heard of others who work with different morphs mention they can be somewhat shy, I can say for certain that my green and blacks are out all the time. I would just hate for a beginner to think that ALL auratus "aren't that bold."

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It just depends. I have all different kinds of darts and it depends on the tank set up I would say. What's your feeding like every day? Every couple days? Feeding cycles can bring frogs out too. Feeding every couple days keeps them hungry and hunting. Also I have noticed lighting makes a difference. Bright lights can make them shy sometimes. Idk though show us some pics and describe the temps and other things in detail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are looking for both a bold and active frog and you have narrowed it down to mints or leucs...I would go leucs. While my mints are fearless and out all the time, I wouldn't call them active, unless of course its feeding time! I would say that leucs are much more active throughout the day.
QUOTE]

So far what I've read points to leucs or mints. Tincs are too aggressive for groups right? All tincs? I'm leaning towards leucs because of cost too but two of my friends have them. Not that I can't have them as well but it would be nice to have something different. Mints look like zombie frogs to me, lol. Part of the appeal I guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just depends. I have all different kinds of darts and it depends on the tank set up I would say. What's your feeding like every day? Every couple days? Feeding cycles can bring frogs out too. Feeding every couple days keeps them hungry and hunting. Also I have noticed lighting makes a difference. Bright lights can make them shy sometimes. Idk though show us some pics and describe the temps and other things in detail.
Every day feeding, 29g tank with a 24-30" marineland double bright led fixture on it. I'll post some pics in a bit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would go with a group of leucs. They are bold and mine always used every inch of tank space, walls included. Mints do not climb as much as leucs in my opinion. The contrast of colors makes them stand out that much more.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you're looking for mints check out Under The Canopy Farms
I was chatting with one of the owners (they're both really nice people) at a recent reptile show and she mentioned their mints have been breeding in crazy numbers recently. If anyone is looking for mints in bulk they should check out UTCF.

I have a couple dwarf guiana tinc's, they kinda look like tiny cobalts. I like them a lot, they have beautiful colors, and I hear they can sometimes do ok in groups. I see them about 1/2 the time I look in the tank and they don't seem scared of me but I wouldn't call them bold. I don't know about their calling because I think I have 2 females =/

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Auroteania....I keep three different mrophs and all three are always out. I keep groups of 5-7 in 20 gallons. Very social, and interesting to watch, as well as colorful and bold.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So far what I've read points to leucs or mints. Tincs are too aggressive for groups right? All tincs? I'm leaning towards leucs because of cost too but two of my friends have them. Not that I can't have them as well but it would be nice to have something different. Mints look like zombie frogs to me, lol. Part of the appeal I guess.
you can go with a group of tincs if you want. lots of people keep them in mostly male heavy groups though. Get a group of 5 froglets and raise them up. Or a pair of adults.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your input. I value it greatly. Sorry I dropped off but I just started a bathroom renovation project due to a leaky shower thats been taking up my time.

Taking a step back and really thinking about it, I am going to keep this as a fish tank for now. I'm set to pick up a pair of Azureus from a friend in a couple months and have a 20g to set up for them to go into. I want to have the cash and everything else in line before I try to do a bigger frog tank. I want to make sure I'm ready for that. Plus I managed to pick up some kribensis which were my first fish to breed ever. The nostalgia overcame me when I saw a pair for sale at a LFS. So... so far... fish still trump frogs lol

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Thank you all for your input. I value it greatly. Sorry I dropped off but I just started a bathroom renovation project due to a leaky shower thats been taking up my time.

Taking a step back and really thinking about it, I am going to keep this as a fish tank for now. I'm set to pick up a pair of Azureus from a friend in a couple months and have a 20g to set up for them to go into. I want to have the cash and everything else in line before I try to do a bigger frog tank. I want to make sure I'm ready for that. Plus I managed to pick up some kribensis which were my first fish to breed ever. The nostalgia overcame me when I saw a pair for sale at a LFS. So... so far... fish still trump frogs lol
As a guy who used to keep ~15ish FW tanks going at once, definitely give frogs a good shot :D I'm guessing your auratus are a younger group and not adults? If so, they'll become infinitely more interesting when they start breeding. Awesome breeding behavior in adults + watching tads morph and froglets grow + no water changes + easier to move in case of emergency + general awesomeness = Done deal for me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I second what tclipse said...no water changes ! I to was in the 15-20 fw tank range & to do it right your doing it's 70% to 80% every week (at least that's what I did & almost never lost a fish) plus you don't need to feed tadpoles baby brine shrimp :eek: just saying. That said I think frogs are every bit addictive as fish :D so many colors,types & behaviors. I'm down to one 90g discus tank in the living room & the down stairs fish breeding room is all frogs now. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts