Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people have asked me to post some photos of my frog room and set-ups. I have a lot of different sized tanks, but most of my breeding pairs are housed in 10, 15, and 20 gallon terrariums.

Take care, Richard.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My set-ups are about as simple as one could imagine. I use a potting mix like Miracle Grow for the base, then a nice layer of orchid bark mix, then another layer of Willow Oak leaf litter. Since I hand mist my tanks, I can adjust the amount of water they get depending on the ambient humidity. If the leaf litter gets soggy, I'll add another layer of Willow Oak on top or, if it's really soggy, I'll siphon-off a bit of the water.

Take care, Richard.

looks good

one question - no drainage? do your tanks smell when you open them from the stagnant water and dirt?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost all of my "cool" tanks were gifts from friends that were updating their tanks (thanks George G!), so I don't have much info on their construction. To say I have built my collection on a "shoe-string" budget would be an understatement (maybe I should write a blog called the "poor man's guide to the dart frog hobby"!)

Take care, Richard.

Very nice! I love the 10g verts with the removable tops - how did you make them? Thanks!
Ruprecht

·
Registered
509 Posts
Richard very nice room, like you i try to keep my setups as simple as possible it makes life easier in the long run. Thanks for sharing and like Shawn said feel free to stop by and clean up my mess of a frog room also!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Like the room Richard. Im setting up a fairly large frogroom myself. I like how you keep it simple with the tanks. I may try your method with no drainage layer. Hydroton gets kinda pricey. Anyway I can keep my cost down is good.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Shawn,

You may be the very first person to say my frog room looks clean! I think it's the miracle of photography. I am actually known for my very large and diverse population of spiders that inhabit the frog room (I think they help keep the wayward Drosophila from getting very far).

I'm sorry I missed coming up your way last time. Is there going to be another chance to see your collection?

Take care, Richard.

So clean Richard, I'm impressed....

You can come tidy up my room anytime....trip to NH?

Shawn

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I wondered what you had go on over there. :)

Thanks for sharing, looks like a fun place to spend some time.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anytime Riko. I'm just a ferry boat ride away! Good to see you at Frog Day.

Take care, Richard.

Lookin good Richard.... I still need to see this setup in person!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Jeremy,

Are you alluding to the fact that I have too many tadpoles? Right now I'm "restocking", so I have 5 of the 24-draw towers going, plus a few dozen tad trays (that hold about 6 tadpoles each). I don't want to calculate the actual number, as it's a little depression (and with no breeding let-up in sight).

I'll add a few other photos of the general chaos that I live in (bedroom, "living" room, kitchen), but don't poke too much fun at me!

Take care, Richard.

Attachments

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed with your entire setup Richard. I really love the tad setup. Can you give info on those containers? It looks like a much better way than what I am doing!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Lisa,

The trays come from Home Depot and run about $5 each. They come with adjustable drawers, so can fit 9 young tadpoles well. When the tads get larger, I generally have six to a tray (which gives them about as much room as the others have in the tower draws).

The problem with my system is that I do weekly complete water changes and the process takes many hours. I learned my "method" from Patrick, give lots of room, feed with human-grade Spirulina, and make weekly water changes. It works really well for producing large metamorphs that take melanogasters readily (and I have never had any issues with sls), but it is really killing me to work this hard.

Tadpoles, gotta love 'em!

Take care, Richard (P.S. I'd like to ship Monday for Tuesday delivery next week, if that works for you. Let me know).

Wow, I'm impressed with your entire setup Richard. I really love the tad setup. Can you give info on those containers? It looks like a much better way than what I am doing!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Chris,

Sure, here are some closer photos. When I do my water transfers, I just set up a new tray and move the tads over by spoon (I am an awesome tadpole fisherman!) to the new tray.

I raise mostly D. tinctorius and leucomelas, but this system has worked really well for my Iquitos Vents and Varadero imitators as well.

Take care, Richard

Awesome tad set up Richard! Could you give us a close up on those containers? I'm interested in using those now..

Attachments

Reactions: frogface
1 - 20 of 41 Posts