Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I'd create a new thread of pics around the frog room. This isn't a complete list of frogs I have, but I've been testing out my camera (just a standard point and shoot) and this is what I've come away with so far:

R. reticulatus:

FTS:

R. imitator standard:

A. bassleri Sisa:

R. fantasticus lowland:

R. variabilis southern:

FTS:

R. fantasticus Caynarachi Valley:

R. benedicta:

FTS:

O. pumilio Rio Branco:

FTS:

H. valerioi:

FTS:

Himalayan x ragdoll with D. leucomelas:

I swear he spends more time in the room looking at my frogs than I do....

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice frog selection. Are the rio brancos producing for you?
Rios aren't producing at the moment. The FTS on that is _very_ new so with the huge broms in there I'm hoping to start some production shortly :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Congrats on the glass frogs Jake. Always nice to be the first in line. Good luck with them.

Michael

·
Registered
527 Posts
it always surprises me to see photos like that one of your Benedicta... to think, that frog is hopping around with potentially $1200 on his back. i'm not saying i'm a frogger for money, but just think, he is carrying around my mortgage for a month if all goes well. pretty weird. i can't wait until everyone gets them doing that so i can pick up a pair for less than a student loan payment.

beautiful frogs btw, love the fantastica. must have them some day.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Rios aren't producing at the moment. The FTS on that is _very_ new so with the huge broms in there I'm hoping to start some production shortly :)
If they don't go for it soon try lowering the light, or shortening the amount of time per day it's on.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Awesome tank and vivs!!!! My 2 kittens do the samething it's pretty funny to watch. Looks amazing though!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Beautiful frogs and vivs.....Jealous on the glass frogs bro, ultimate must haves....

·
Registered
658 Posts
For a standard point and shoot camera, I am impressed!! Very nice pictures of the frogs.

Reactions: pigface

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Awesome pics of some really beautiful frogs. I am waaaaaay jealous of those H. valerioi, been wanting glass frogs since I first saw them at ABG years ago, good luck with them!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
beautiful frogs btw, love the fantastica. must have them some day.
The fantastica clade are still my favorite darts.... I was a little nervous when ordering the C. Valleys because from the pictures they looked _very_ similar to the lowlands that I already had, but Mark was making a big deal about them and I trust him so I went with it... totally worth it. The pictures just don't do them justice. Amazing coloration.

If they don't go for it soon try lowering the light, or shortening the amount of time per day it's on.
Thanks for the tip. I'm lighting that 40 gallon vert with three 6500K T8 bulbs trying to give those broms enough light to survive and stay reasonably colored, it's being lit at 12 hour intervals. That middle brom provides enough cover for the lower half of the tank that if they don't like the light I'm hoping they'll have plenty of room for shelter, but if I don't see any success soon I'll drop the cycle to 10 hours, maybe that will work...?

I guess Mark finally got the valeroi oow. Get them breeding!
I think we're going to be seeing more of these coming in August.... I really want to get them breeding, but Mark insists that, while the adults are a very hardy frog, they are some major tricky tadpoles... I'll do what I can.

I was really surprised when I opened the box and saw these guys. I was expecting something closer to the standard green tree frog size. Mark tells me that any remaining growth will be negligible in these guys, though. Now I know what he meant when he said I can just feed fruit flies.... By the way, in some personal conversations I've had people tell me they're shocked that they're as small as a quarter. So, just in case you can't tell, that's not a quarter... it's a dime.

Nice collection and great looking tanks... keep us updated on the rest
I'll do what I can. The frog room is always in some state of transition. That's why I haven't posted FTSs of all the tanks, I'm not planning on using them all forever. I've got some really shy frogs that I"d like to get some pictures of, so I always go in with my camera ready to shoot, but so far no success... if I get anything awesome I'll post them here :)

Thanks for looking, guys (gender neutral ;) )!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I think we're going to be seeing more of these coming in August.... I really want to get them breeding, but Mark insists that, while the adults are a very hardy frog, they are some major tricky tadpoles... I'll do what I can.

I was really surprised when I opened the box and saw these guys. I was expecting something closer to the standard green tree frog size. Mark tells me that any remaining growth will be negligible in these guys, though. Now I know what he meant when he said I can just feed fruit flies.... By the way, in some personal conversations I've had people tell me they're shocked that they're as small as a quarter. So, just in case you can't tell, that's not a quarter... it's a dime.

Yeah, I know someone local with them and they are pretty damn cool (and small). Breeding takes time and lots of effort.

Wait until you see the Peruvian Centrolenids in person. They are incredible.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot one thing:

it always surprises me to see photos like that one of your Benedicta... to think, that frog is hopping around with potentially $1200 on his back.
If you think that's impressive, you should look again at that Chrome bassleri. That picture was taken when he was carrying 18 tadpoles on his back. When I bought my trio they were going for $275.... Even now at the 150 - 175 range, those 18 tadpoles could turn into quite a bit more than the three the benedicta is carrying ;)

Yeah, I know someone local with them and they are pretty damn cool (and small). Breeding takes time and lots of effort.

Wait until you see the Peruvian Centrolenids in person. They are incredible.
I was pretty nervous about caring for these... I don't typically work with treefrogs (I know it's not a true tree frog). I was _sure_ that even though Mark said I could just feed fruit flies I would have to find a way to get crickets... I was wrong.

I'd love to see more glass frogs, but I have a feeling that these will be my only Centrolenids for a long time (I do hope to eventually dive more into them, but considering space and other ventures I doubt if it will happen any time soon).

·
Registered
539 Posts
ohh man that tank planted looks sick Jake...I really need to come check out your collection while I'm on my way to the cabin in Cedar...and yeah..the pics really dont do the those justice..really is a gorgeous frog, when you brought mine over I felt like a little kid on xmas lol.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ohh man that tank planted looks sick Jake...I really need to come check out your collection while I'm on my way to the cabin in Cedar...and yeah..the pics really dont do the those justice..really is a gorgeous frog, when you brought mine over I felt like a little kid on xmas lol.
I was so excited for the shipment I couldn't get to sleep the night before... fell asleep at 3 AM... woke up (on my own) at 5:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep.... I felt like a six year old on Christmas Eve as well... the only difference was I was tuckered out _before_ I got to unwrap my gifts (let alone play with them).

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Jake I LOVE that zip tie vine, where'd you score it? Actually that was my favorite FTS among several beautiful tanks and inhabitants. Well done.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts