Dendroboard banner

Frog Room Record

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mindcrash 
G
#1 ·
Today I made a record high of 33 fruit fly cultures in one day. I have had a huge burst of fruit flies lately, so I figured I would put them to good use. This is much higher than my old record of about 14. :D

Brian Hoff

G
#3 ·
Currently I am working with 30-40 adult frogs (with a mix of thumbs, tincs, etc...) and a couple tanks of juveniles. The main reason why I need so many flies is because I have froglets morphing out. Out of water I am getting a minimum of 5 terribilis froglets a week, a few vents a week, and some azureus. I also have a few other groups of tads that are a couple weeks away. Plus, I hate having to scrape together a meager feeding for the frogs, especially my breeders. So I want to be able to load the tanks up with food all the time. And lastly, I am planning on expanding my collection again, and already have more than a dozen more frogs coming in with in the next week or two. I even still could have made another 6 cultures last night, but I figured 30+ was enough. You will be at this point some day. :D

Brian Hoff

#4 ·
I have around 40 frogs, but only about 12 are full grown adults, but I have alot of large juveniles. I make 40 once a week, normally on one day, but sometimes over two. I am going to start making 60 a week since many of my frogs are almost adults, and I hate being worried about not having enough flies, plus I can use 20 of them just for starting new cultures, instead of having to make cultures and feed from the same cultures.

#5 ·
I have 11 tinc sized frogs and 12 thumbnails and have gotten by with making 1 hydei and 1 meloganaster culture each week in large mason jars and yet to have a shortage of flies. I also have 4 cultures of springtails going for the thumbs too. Is this normal?

rob

#8 ·
That many cultures isnt really necessary when most of your darts are thumbs, my imitators probably only eat about 10 melagosters, and my coablats eat about 50 2 times a day. Then my other frogs eat almost that too, except my vents and imitators. But I would definitely start making some more just in case they crash.

G
#10 ·
Lately I have been making about 10-20 a week, sometimes less. I can easily load all my tanks with this amount for now. But I am not sure if all of you have a breeding pair of terribilis that will eat more flies that you could ever pump in. So if I can culture larger food, and stay away from the flies I will be in good shape. Besides that, I just love having lots of spare flies. And the more flies I have, the more frogs I will need to feed them to............so my collection can continue to grow without any holdbacks.

Brian Hoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.